Author Topic: Clearys in Wexford  (Read 2065 times)

Offline mtabbut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clearys in Wexford
« on: Sunday 13 January 19 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone help me puzzle something out?  It's just something nagging at me.  I'm running into confusion with my Clearys and Redmonds. 
My great great grandmother was Kitty Cleary bap 26 Feb 1831 in Wexford.  Her parents are listed as John Cleary and Margaret Redmond.  Kitty's sister's bap has the same parents listed.

The Cleary family lived in Newbay near Wexford town.  I can see John Cleary on Tithe Applotment for 1834 in New Bay.  After that, the valuation records list  Mary Anne Cleary. (John passed away?) 

My question is about Mary Anne Cleary.  At first I thought that Mary Anne was Margaret, but the names are so different.  I did see a marriage for  John Cleary and Maryann Redmond in May of 1830, but now I'm not sure if that is my John Cleary.

Kitty Cleary (actually Christina) married John Rossiter.  Two of their children's births are recorded as being in Newbay. 

One other bit of a clue that I have- in 1862 Elinor Redmond's will mentions her sister "Mary Anne Cleary (widow) of Newbay.

What would any of you make of all this?  Are Mary Anne and Margaret the same person?  Or, is Mary Anne Cleary the sister of John Cleary?  (John's second daughter was Mary Anne.  Her godmother was another Mary Anne Cleary)   I will probably never know for sure.   :)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Clearys in Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 18:04 GMT (UK) »
In my experience, there is a substantial error rate in both church and civil records. I reached that conclusion from later years, where things can be cross-checked, or checked using direct personal knowledge.

I think the key piece of evidence is the will. How many Mary Anne Redmonds can have married a John Cleary of Newbay?

The Mary Anne Cleary who appears as a godmother is probably Mary Anne Kavanagh, who had a child with a Nicholas Cleary in 1814.

Do you have the names of all of John Cleary's children - can you post them?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Possible/probable baptism for John Cleary 18/11/1802. Parents Nicholas Cleary and Mary Mearan.
You can see the variability in records from the variations on the mother's surname. Different on each of four births! The other three being:
James, 1804, Merrin
Peter, 1807, Morran
Mary, 1810, Mernagh
All clearly the same person.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline mtabbut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 January 19 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer- thank you so much for your kindness and your assistance.  Your logic is what I was reaching for, but couldn't quite grasp.  Thank you for that example, too , of the different spellings of Mary Mearan.  I will look into all of this.  I agree with you about the will being significant: Newbay is not very large, it is not logical to think that there were a group of women with the maiden name Redmond marrying John Cleary and ending up in that little townland. 
The spellings are unpredictable and varied!  I've noticed that in my great grandmother's family in Cavan:  she was a Comesky, or a Cummisky, or depending on the day of the week, a Comerford! (and without too much exaggeration a dozen or more other spellings of the name in the family)
Again, thank you for your help.
Maureen

Offline mtabbut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 January 19 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer- one other question.  Where can I go to see the baptisms that you listed?  I have access to Find My Past, but I can't find them there.  Would I be able to see them in Ancestry?  (my membership has lapsed there)   Thanks,Maureen

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 February 19 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer- one other question.  Where can I go to see the baptisms that you listed?  I have access to Find My Past, but I can't find them there.  Would I be able to see them in Ancestry?  (my membership has lapsed there)   Thanks,Maureen

Just noticed this query. The baptisms I listed will not be found on either FindMyPast or Ancestry, as they sourced their material from the (rather incomplete) microfilm copies made by NLI in the 70s. Instead, they are on RootsIreland, who did not source from the microfilm copies, but directly from the originals, or photocopies.

Offline mtabbut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 February 19 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer,  thanks for your help, again!  You are so kind.  I'm not familiar with Roots Ireland, but I soon will be!    :)  I can't wait to have a look at it. 
Best wishes,
Maureen