Author Topic: Where to start finding my Grandfather  (Read 1429 times)

Offline snowcastle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where to start finding my Grandfather
« on: Tuesday 15 January 19 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone could help or if not point me in the right direction please. After spending many fruitless hours online, I am even more confused as to where to start!

I am basically trying to find my Grandfather on my Father’s side, using the limited information my Grandmother told us whilst she was alive.

My Grandfather was apparently some kind of officer who my Grandmother served with when she subsequently conceived my father. We know his name, where he was from and possibly where and when he died (although that information is a bit cryptic!). I have already obtained my Grandmother’s military record so we can see where she was at the time of conception but I am struggling to decipher the handwriting and abbreviations.

What is therefore the best way to start my search for my Grandfather?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Cathy

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start finding my Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

What year was your father born and does his birth cert have a fathers name on it?

If not - is there any actual official documentation to confirm who his father was eg paternity acknowldgement or payments for his support via whichever service they were in

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline snowcastle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!

My Dad was born in 1948 but the name listed as his Father on his birth certificates is not actually his real Father. My Grandmother got together with the man who we all thought was my Grandfather shortly after she discovered she was pregnant and passed off my Dad as his. I suspect back then it was a better option as unwed mothers and their children were not treated as well as they are today.
It was not till many years later the truth came out that my Dad’s father was in fact an officer who she had served with in the army.

We know his name was George Allan and that he was apparently from Liverpool. My Grandmother had a replica of an old copy of the Liverpool Echo newspaper from the day after John Lennon was murdered and she said there was an obituary listed in it which she thought was my Grandfather. That’s the cryptic bit to the story as we cannot be 100% sure that is him although she could have known more than she was letting on – She was a bit of a one!

If I could just find a George Allan who was stationed with my Grandmother at the time of conception, I think that would be a good start but I just can’t figure out how to go about it.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

The death registration index gives that 1980 death as a George Murray Allan born 11 Dec 1924.  Have you tried eliminating him  :-\

This looks like his birth registration
Births Mar qtr 1925 
Allan    George M    mmn Service   
Sunderland    10a   1311   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Not quite the right date and he would have died in 1978  but...
There is an In Memorial piece in the Liverpool Echo 23 Dec 1980 for a George Allan.
Probably co incidence, George Allan being not such a rare name,  it does give a couple of members of family
If you would like a bit more info I can Pm you .
Cathy
Added...probably not him, looks like Rosie has found a more likely candidate :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:44 GMT (UK) »
This is the death notice from the Liverpool Echo. Probate record on Ancestry confirms he was George Murray Allan. There is a possible marriage in Sunderland in 1949 of a George M Allan to a Doreen.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Was your grandmother in the RAF?
There is a George Murray Allan service no1590977 RAF on the nominal rolls of RAF personnel, no other info unfortunately

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Was your grandmother living near an RAF station at the time of conception?
A word of warning: there may well be close relatives of the putative father alive ... may be even on here .. how would they feel about this, you may wonder?
Does mere physical inheritance make as important a relationship as years of bringing a child up and caring?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline snowcastle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Rosie - That’s great! That does appear to be the one in the obituary my Grandmother referred to. What does the part “mmn Service Sunderland    10a   1311” mean – sorry so out of my depth here!

Also how would I go about eliminating him?

Cathy, that would be great if you could PM me as it may well be a lead as she wasn’t 100% the 1980 obituary was him.

Just looking through my papers and the other bits of info I have is that they were stationed in Chester and that he may have been married at the time! Looking at her military record she was in the ATS in Chester and the reference G Coy(?) is mentioned a lot if anyone knows what that means?

Thanks for a copy of the death notice and the marriage info, it all helps greatly 😊

Completely understand re: living relatives. My Father ended up being an only child and has literally no family on his side so any info on his Father would be very much appreciated. I totally understand it is a sensitive subject so intend to tread lightly.

Thanks again for the help – it would be truly wonderful to get somewhere with my search.