Author Topic: CARR: Census Look up please 1861-71  (Read 5344 times)

Offline BobtheBee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
CARR: Census Look up please 1861-71
« on: Saturday 13 August 05 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My gggrandfather John Carr married Ann Chisholm in Fodderty on 31/10/1846. She was possibly born in Urray on 16/11/1827.

I don't know where John Carr was born or anything else about him other than when his daughter Jane Carr married my ggrandfather he was employed as a 'Domestic Coachman'.

Any further information about him and his wife Ann would be appreciated.

Thanks Bob.
Scotland - Blaikie, Carr, Jamieson, Alexander, Chisholm
Nottinghamshire - Smith, Gabb, Simpson, Dyer
Gloucestershire - Gabb, Davies
Norfolk - Nelson
Northumberland/Durham - Davison, Scott
Wales - Shaw
USA - Pratt
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
Re: CARR: Census Look up please 1861-71
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 August 05 10:33 BST (UK) »
hi there, i had a look at the igi to find some other children which may help identify the family when i get a chance to go to the library again. then i had a look at scotlandspeople (although i didnt view actual certs) and i also had a look at the 1881 census.....

JOHN CARR 
  Spouse:  ANN CHISHOLM 
  Marriage:  31 OCT 1846   Fodderty, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland

ALEXANDER CARR 
  Male     
 Birth:  04 DEC 1847   
 Christening:  04 DEC 1847   Kilmorack, Inverness, Scotland
  Father:  JOHN CARR   
  Mother:  ANN CHISHOLM     

JANE CARR 
  Female     
 Christening:  14 JUL 1849   Kilmorack, Inverness, Scotland

ANDREW CARR 
  Male     
 Christening:  10 JUN 1851   Kilmorack, Inverness, Scotland

JAMES ALEXANDER CARR 
  Male     
 Birth:  03 JUN 1853   
 Christening:  17 JUN 1853   Kilmorack, Inverness, Scotland

scotlandspeople have 1 match (death records) for ann carr other surnames chisholm in fodderty, ross & cromarty in 1865 aged 51 years. this puts her born c1814.

scotlandspeople have 1 match (death records) for john carr in fodderty, ross & cromarty in 1889 aged 85years. this puts him born c1804.

if these are the correct entries, they would give you both sets of their parents names including mother's maiden surnames if known.

scotlandspeople also have 1 match (death records) for john carr in fodderty, ross & cromarty in 1886 aged 0years.

if the death record for john in 1889 is correct, then he should be in the 1881 census. - i have had a look and the only one old enough is shown below.....
again, if it is him, the marriage to catherine macpherson also ties in as it was after the death date of the above (1865) death for ann chisholm. - the only thing that puts me off this idea is john's occupation in 1881??

Dwelling:   ... Cottage
   Census Place:   Fodderty, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland
   Source:   FHL Film 0203409     GRO Ref    Volume 065    EnumDist 7    Page 1
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
John CARR   M   75    M   Galloway Glasserton
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Woodkeeper
Chirsty CARR   M   44    F   Fodderty, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
   Rel:   Wife
   Occ:   Woodkeepers Wife
Ann CARR   U   11    F   Fodderty, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
   Rel:   Daur
   Occ:   Scholar (Daur)
John CARR       9    M   Fodderty, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
   Rel:   Son
   Occ:   Son (Scholar)
William CARR       7    M   Fodderty, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
   Rel:   Son
   Occ:   Son (Scholar)
Mary CARR       5    F   Fodderty, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
   Rel:   Daur
   Occ:   Daur (Scholar)

JOHN CARR 
  Spouse:  CHRISTIE MACPHERSON
  Marriage:  16 APR 1869   Dingwall, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland

ANN CARR 
  Female     
 Birth:  20 APR 1869   Fodderty, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
  Mother:  CHIRSTY MCPHERSON 

JOHN CARR 
  Male     
 Birth:  10 APR 1872   Fodderty, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
  Mother:  CHRISTINA MCPHERSON 

WILLIAM CARR 
  Male     
 Birth:  27 JUN 1874   Fodderty, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
  Mother:  CHRISTINA MCPHERSON 

i havent been to inverness in a while and not sure when i will get again, but i will keep this info on file and have a look at the1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses for kilmorack and fodderty and see if i can find out anything further for you.

king regards,
Lorna.

Offline BobtheBee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 August 05 15:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lorna,

When putting up these requests, I'm always torn between giving all the information I've got, and what I think is necessary.

Whichever I choose is usually wrong for opposite reasons.

OK, more of what I know. Of course I've used the IGI and Scotland's People quiet a bit.

Jane Carr was my gt grandmother, and married John Thomas Davison in Knockbain on 3/12/1880. Ann is shown as deceased. Jane was working as a domestic servant,  a Lady's Maid living at Ardgowan House, St Andrews Road, Pollokshields.

They then lived in Glasgow, where John Thomas (an Englishman from the NE) died in 1886. They had 2 sons, Alexander Francis, my grandfather, who died of TB in Eastbourne in 1923, and Thomas William who emigrated to Canada & died in Winnipeg. Jane, although living & buried in Eastbourne with my grandmother, died in Croydon in 1927 while visiting her niece (death cert) Elizabeth Mary Teague (????). Interestingly when my grandfather married in 1914 he gave the same address in Croydon that my Gt Grandmother died at.

In 1912 (Kelly's) a J.S Gardener lived at the address , and in the 1927 electoral roll Elizabeth Gardener, Albert Roy Teague & Elizabeth Mary Teague are registered. But I don't know whether EM Teague was from the Davison's of the NE or from Scotland. My mum always said that Gt Grandmothers sister (Frances) lived in Glasgow and had a daughter, but I can find no trace of either.

The 4th child you found James Alexander Carr (a carpenter) married a Mary Bain, had 2 children Ann (c.1879) & Donaldina (b.21/10/1880) and on the 1881 are shown living at Bogroy with his in laws family John Bain (62) a Master Carpenter, Wife Catherine (56), daughter Davina (26), John (20) carpenter apprentice, Ann (2) grand daughter, Donaldina (6m) grand daughter, James Carr (27) son in law, Mary (29) daughter. Thereafter nothing on this family.

John & Ann had 2 other children, Keith William (7/1855) who in 1881 turns up as an Under Butler at Hoick Hall working for ex PM Earl Grey, and Frances George (7/1857).

Well that should provide plenty to confuse you, and I haven't told you about John Thomas Davison's brother & sisters from the NE - Edward, Anne, Mary J, Michael, & Elizabeth Scott.  I have Edward in the 1901, and of course I know about John Thomas.

I'm currently stuck on Elizabeth Mary Teague, niece to my gt grandmother, but from which side, several of my gt grandfathers brothers & sisters, and who was John Carr & Ann Chisholm.

Well you sort of asked for it!

Bob
Norfolk - Nelson
Wales - Shaw
USA - Pratt

Offline BobtheBee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 November 05 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorna,

I've done a bit more now the 1861's available, and then went back to your findings, and it all ties together.

In the 1861 :-

John Carr, Head, 54, Woodkeeper, Galloway, Glasserton
Ann Carr, Wife, 44, Woodkeepers Wife, Fodderty
Alexndr Carr, Son, 14, Scholar, Fodderty
Jane Carr, Daur, 13, Scholar, Beauly
Andrew Carr, Son, 9, Scholar, Beauly
James A Carr, Son, 7, Scholar, Beauly
Keith W Carr, Son, 5, -, Urray
Francis G Carr, Son, 3, - Fodderty

Scotlands People as you say has an Ann Carr death February 13th 1865 or Dropsy, aged 51, parents Alexander Chisholm, Francis Chisholm, M.S. McLennan.

John married again in 16th April 1869 (aged 58) father Andrew, mother Jane, M.S. McConnell (I think not clear) to Christie Macpherson( aged 35), father Thomas Macpherson, mother Mary Macpherson, M.S. McDonald.

Seems a bit of a rush because on April 20th, 1869 Ann was born. 3 more followed, John 1872, William 1874, Mary 1876.

John Carr (Snr) died June 30th 1889, supposedly aged 85. Father Andrew, mother Jane, M.S. Unknown, reported by Annie Carr daughter.

The 1891 gives
Christina Carr, Head, W, 51, Housekeeper, Ross-shire, Gairloch
John Carr, Son, Un, 19, General Labourer, Fodderty
Mary Carr, Daur, Un, 14, Nurse, Fodderty

I've also solved of Frances(cis) George Carr listed as a Female birth July 27th 1857, which was in fact male, and he died of Consumption in 1877, aged 20.

In 1871 my great grandmother was working as a nurse at Findrapie Mansion, (not sure of the 'F'), Newspynie, which if I've got my head round it has been absorbed into the modern Elgin, and called herself Jane Chisholm Carr.

I haven't found a birth match in the IGI for any of John Carr, Ann Chisholm, or Christina Macpherson.

I haven't looked at the death of John Carr aged 0 in 1886.

John Carr was born any time between 1804 & 1811 depending on when he was asked at Glasserton in Dumfries.

I now want to trace Mary & Ann, who could be the mysterious sister, formerly thought to be Frances, who had a daughter, who may have married one Albert Roy Teague, and gone to live in London in the 1920's.

Bob.
Norfolk - Nelson
Wales - Shaw
USA - Pratt

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 December 05 14:27 GMT (UK) »
hello Bob,

sorry for the long delay in replying, but i havent forgotton about you.

hopefully, i will get a chance to look at your message in more detail once new year is out of the way.....

kind regards,
Lorna.

Offline sue 1950

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 March 06 21:42 GMT (UK) »
is it free to look in the census years for Scotland Isle of Lewis area please.
Researching Dixon Dawson Wood Wilkinson Wackett from Lincolnshire (Caistor area) Ringrose Higgs Riddington Lord Burley from Leicester (Countesthorpe) Holmes Abbott Ringrose Motson from Beverley and Hull Leics. Fawcett Fenwick Hare Mareham Le Fen Revesby Horncastle Lincolnshire.

Offline sue 1950

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 March 06 22:08 GMT (UK) »
can anyone out there do  a search on the census years for Scotland please
Researching Dixon Dawson Wood Wilkinson Wackett from Lincolnshire (Caistor area) Ringrose Higgs Riddington Lord Burley from Leicester (Countesthorpe) Holmes Abbott Ringrose Motson from Beverley and Hull Leics. Fawcett Fenwick Hare Mareham Le Fen Revesby Horncastle Lincolnshire.