Author Topic: The elusive John Farrell  (Read 1572 times)

Offline 3hounds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The elusive John Farrell
« on: Friday 18 January 19 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,
I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas to help me ?
I am trying to research my Great Grandfather, John Farrell. I know very little about him as he left the family home, his wife and 4 children, sometime in the 1940s and sadly no one that knew him are alive to ask about him.

What I do know:

The 1939 register shows him living on Sanderson Street, Manchester living with his wife Eva (maiden name Curzon) and 2 of their 4 children, Walter being my grandfather. The other two had been evacuated to Blackpool.
It shows a date of birth of the 23rd of sept 1903 and that he was a chemical works labourer.

His marriage cert shows he got married on the 22nd of sept 1923, which would have him turn 20 the following day, it has his age as 21. Assuming this was to do with altering his age due to the lack of access to consent as it shows his father (James) , a soldier, to be deceased.

The only thing I have been told by family was he was Irish Canadian, whether that by birth or parentage I have no clue! And that he went on to live with a woman who’s daughter was a teacher, he lived in Oldham and/or Blackpool (I was informed of two different places by two different ppl), and died in either the mid 50’s or late 60’s (again, two different stories from two different ppl, both information came second hand a long time ago).

I have found a record that could possibly be him. A passenger record of a John Farrell age 11 in 1914 arriving in Liverpool from Montreal travelling with a Mrs Jas Farrell, 3 other Farrell’s in their teens/20’s and a baby. Planning to reside in England with their last place of residence recorded as USA. But I’ve no way of knowing if that really was him.

I have my DNA currently being processed through ancestry, apart from waiting for this and the release of the 1921 census is there anything else I can do/try that anyone can think of? My mum is desperate for me to find something out about her elusive Grandad.

Thank you

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The elusive John Farrell
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 January 19 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any information about his parentage at all?
There are some likely candidates in the 1911 census in the Lancashire area, including a lad about the right age with mother "Margarette"  as lodgers  with a Brown family on Rochdale Road Manchester, but born Lancs.
Is there nothing like a birth certificate hanging about ... or even a family tale of the job that John's own father did when he was alive? There will be some information on that marriage certificate, remember.
You'd be amazed how little snippets that we think at the time have little value can actually be the clues that help us "fix"  the right line. There are lots of really helpful people on here who will really put themselves out to help, I've found.
Good luck, though.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline 3hounds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 January 19 15:47 GMT (UK) »
thank you for your reply. Sadly I have asked everyone there is left to ask and no one alive actually knew John. The info I have included in the OP is every scrap of info i could gather. I even posted in several local facebook groups which got me into contact with a cousin of my mums and she sent me a photo that had come from her mother (who would have been my gt auntie, John's daughter), but didnt have a great deal of information about him as her mother has passed away.  I have since posted his picture on local sites on the off chance someone would recognise him, but no luck.
The only think i know about his parentage is that his father was called James and he was a soldier, deceased before 1923 as this was the info provided on Johns marriage cert. Which of course could have been false information that john made up if he didnt have a Dad that he knew? something i had considered when i saw the census entry that you mention. I have no way of verifying this info either way.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 January 19 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I think this might be the John Farrell and family in the 1910 US census who arrived in the UK in 1914   Living in Hamtramck, Wayne, Michigan   However all the children are listed as born England and they came to the USA in 1909

James Farrell 37 b England Labourer
Sophia Farrell 37 b England
James Farrell 16
William Farrell 14
Thomas Farrell    12
Sophia Farrell 10
Florence Farrell    8
John Farrell 3

Kay

Sorry the names are similar but the ages are completley out  :-\

Offline 3hounds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay,
yes this looks to be the family! ive been searching for this family just now and couldnt find them despite sifting through many search results! Will i be able to find this on FindMyPast please? this is the only site i have worldwide on.
Although possibly not my John if he never lived in Canada? were both parents listed as English? if so i dont think they fit.
Thank you,
Katy

Offline 3hounds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:02 GMT (UK) »
ooh ok, it really did look like that same family didnt it!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:05 GMT (UK) »
That family are on a passenger list leaving Liverpool in 1906 without John

Link to record on FindMyPast

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n9w/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:08 GMT (UK) »
ooh ok, it really did look like that same family didnt it!

I forgot it was the 1910 rather than the 1900 census  :-\

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Possibly young Sophia & Florences birth reg

FARRELL, SOPHIA  RUTH     mmn BLUNDEN     
GRO Reference: 1900  March Quarter in ST. SAVIOUR SOUTHWARK LONDON 
Volume 01D  Page 174

FARRELL, FLORENCE  WINIFRED     mmn BLUNDEN     
GRO Reference: 1902  Sept  Quarter in SOUTHWARK 
Volume 01D  Page 66   

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk