Author Topic: Peter Trainer  (Read 1807 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Trainer
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 January 19 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Bernard McAlinden in Clonduff Parish on Griffith's valuation was in Ballykeel Townland, on Parcel 23a, house, offices, and land. The parcel didn't change hands until 1877, when the occupier is Owen McAlinden. (Valuation Revision Books)

There are three deaths of Bernard McAlindens in Newry Registration District from 1870 to 1875, any of which could be that Bernard:

from https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

BERNARD MCALINDON
Date of Death   1870
Group Registration ID   N/R
SR District/Reg Area   Newry
Deceased Age at Death   60
Returns Year   1870
Returns Quarter   1
Returns Volume No   1
Returns Page No   738

BERNARD MCALINDON in 1875
Deceased Age at Death   74
Returns Year   1875
Returns Quarter   1
Returns Volume No   1
Returns Page No   802

BERNARD MCALINDON in 1871
Deceased Age at Death   78
Returns Year   1871
Returns Quarter   2
Returns Volume No   6
Returns Page No   579

The man who died age 60 in 1870 is a possibility for your Bernard, if his age at death is incorrect, which it usually is. (His son Peter was born in 1826)
 But 7 years is a long time for the recordkeeping on the parcel to catch up with a death. It's usually a year or two.
You'd have to pay for the record. It should list the townland of death and informant, which often is a relative.

And, if your Ann Trainer and Bernard McLinden were from Clonduff, he might have died between the Tithe books and Griffiths. Then on Griffith's the land would be in the name of one of their sons who remained in Ireland.

Ann could have arrived in Scotland anytime between the 1861 census and 1871. Or even before 1861 and just not show up on the census. And she might not have left immediately after her husband's death. She might have stayed with her son until she and the children thought she would be better off with her daughter in Scotland.

For the deaths, I searched for just Bernard, no surname, Newry Registration District, 1864 to 1877. There were none that matched before 1870.

I'm just thinking out loud here, you have probably run through all these possibilities yourself.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 January 19 17:51 GMT (UK) »

There are three deaths of Bernard McAlindens in Newry Registration District from 1870 to 1875, any of which could be that Bernard ...

I forgot you said he had died before his daughter Ellen married in 1867. So none of them is your ancestor.

There are burial records of Clonduff parish available from I think it said 1850. at nli.ie and type in Clonuff or Clonduff. But they are faded and pretty much unreadable. worth a try.

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 January 19 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the information.

We have checked census records for other names and the only Irish names living in the same household have married into the McLinden family. Other names are Scottish families that again they married into.

There was a brother James that we know of but we aren't sure whether he lived in Scotland or Ireland.

We also have christian names of Arthur, Dennis, Charles, Francis, Hugh, Cristina, Margaret, Katherine, Alexander, Joseph, and Agnes which seem to repeat themselves through at least 2 generations in Scotland but they could just as well be from the MacGuigan side.

Unfortunately the census records rarely include the area in Ireland. I only found the counties of Forkhill and Down from burial records.

I will follow your suggestions and see if I can locate any matches.
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Forkhill is not a county, it is a townland in Co Armagh, and is near Newry.

It borders Co Down
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Forkhill is not a county, it is a townland in Co Armagh, and is near Newry.

Forkhill (Forkill) is also a civil parish.

https://www.townlands.ie/armagh/forkill/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 January 19 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the further information
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan