Author Topic: William MASON wed Mary KING circa 1833 in Tynemouth?  (Read 9363 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William MASON wed Mary KING circa 1833 in Tynemouth?
« Reply #36 on: Monday 21 January 19 11:52 GMT (UK) »

Fathers:
James (West?) Scrimshaw - Shepherd
Thomas Blakey - Butcher

Thank you for looking at this for us RTL - Jen will be pleased with Thomas's occupation  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 21 January 19 11:58 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome Rosie!  So glad to have been able to find this.  I did anticipate that Jen would be right in her deducements regarding Sarah and it would seem that once again she has been proved right! :D

I am glad Jen persisted with this - I wonder why this Church used two formats .. so strange.  Oh well, the librarian and I have both learned something new today.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 21 January 19 12:12 GMT (UK) »
That's good news, thanks for double-checking! Perhaps the Vicar of Christ Church was a bit old-fashioned and also liked to keep a register the 'old way'  :-\

Page 225 Entry 449
Christ Church
Entry 449
1853 July 24th

I think you meant 1865?

I think we could agree that this Sarah Jane Blakey has to be the same person as married Joseph Mason in 1854. The coincidence of a father called Thomas who was a butcher is too much to ignore. Additionally in the 1871 census her birthplace is given as North Shields.

So, Joseph seems to have been lying when he married in Australia. Far from dying in 1854 his wife was still alive in 1865. And he had had a child with her in 1858 (Mary Ann Kell Mason) who died in 1867.

This isn't getting any closer to finding who Joseph's parents were, but it's clear he was prepared to tell untruths about his first wife.....

Sarah was telling porkies as well, since she called herself a spinster when she wasn't.

Additionally, of course, both marriages were bigamous.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 21 January 19 12:25 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome Jen.  Perhaps the Vicar may have been old fashioned and was reluctant to part with the old way of doing things.  I prefer the modern version .. the old version revealed practically nothing in the way of evidence.

Yes, this is what it should say 1865 I will try to alter my post to correct this.. yes it would seem they were both telling porkies and committed bigamy.

Added: There I have changed the Year to show correct one of 1865.  I don't know if it was me or Kindle responsible for that blip. :-[

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 02:00 GMT (UK) »
My goodness - what a truly amazing find......their Australian descendants will be shocked when I present this to them later on but then knowing some would probably suggest it par for the course with their family ;D 

I can't thank each of you enough for taking it on board and working it out....I really do feel quite humbled by your efforts, wow, what can I say other than a big 'thank you - again' - it would have remained hidden without your determination, no doubt that's what they had hoped..... 

So I take it, for whatever reason he departed Northumberland assumed around early 1860's leaving his wife and child - being a mariner would have been easy enough, he eventually came to Australia, married Lowe in 1867 starting another life there.....Sarah remained in Tynemouth, did the same thing, married Scrimshaw in 1865 - both bigamists from what we see......wonder what role her father Thomas Blakey the butcher; had in having given her away twice  and whether Joseph's father William, knew his daughter in law remarried....maybe he was deceased by then?

Some years back when I hit this brick wall - most of my research had been on William Mason as a ships captain based on what his son had said...that proved a dead end....it turned out correct that  his father in law was indeed a butcher as stated at his first marriage - interestingly there does not appear any of Joseph relatives signed as witnesses (not sure who second witness Mary Ann Robinson was?) to that first marriage. On it, Joseph stated his father was grocer so I'd be pretty confident in that - more so than a sea captain at least :)

We are slowly getting there.........but what a ride so far  ;D

Edit.....
Having read the ages of Sarah from the two certificates....think that might be another 'porkie'...as JenB and RTL so eloquently put :
Marriage on 19 Nov 1854 - states she was a minor, no age given
Marriage on 24 Jul 1865 - states she was 24

There is a reference on England Select Births and Christenings to Sarah Jane Blakey, born 5 Sep 1837 and Christened 15 Oct 1837...makes her 17 years at first marriage and therefor a minor yet when she married Scrimshaw she was 28......perhaps grounds for a breach of contract too haha?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thommo, thanks are mainly due to River Tyne Lass who went to the library and did the Sarah Blakey/Scrimshaw marriage lookup which revealed the name of Sarah's father!

I think Sarah 'massaged' her age on the second marriage cert perhaps because she was marrying a younger man. We've seen quite a few examples of this on Rootschat.

We are no further forward with Joseph's parentage, though. It's a bit of a mystery.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
.wonder what role her father Thomas Blakey the butcher; had in having given her away twice 

You said earlier that Thomas the butcher had died in 1849  :-\

Thomas Blakey died in 1849 and he was the second husband of Kell...

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 15:06 GMT (UK) »
.wonder what role her father Thomas Blakey the butcher; had in having given her away twice 

You said earlier that Thomas the butcher had died in 1849  :-\

Thomas Blakey died in 1849 and he was the second husband of Kell...

Yes, he did die in 1849, the age doesn't tie with the 1841 census, but it has to be him. His residence was Coulson's Bank, Clive Street, and the family were at Clive Street in 1841.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DCVQ-X5G?i=255&wc=9K5M-PTP%3A13617901%2C30809801%2C1077226105&cc=1309819

The margin note shows he died of cholera, and there was evidently an epidemic at North Shields at this time. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DCVQ-F9B?i=223&wc=9K5M-PTP%3A13617901%2C30809801%2C1077226105&cc=1309819

There was also an announcement of his death in the Newcastle Journal, 8th September 1849. 'In North Shields.....on the 2d instant.....aged 45, Mr Thos Blakey, butcher'

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou JenB....... will add the cause and the confirmation you show to his death...I did not have all that....mere references only but it's good to sort him out....really appreciated.

I could not find any siblings for Joseph or other children for William and Mary (in Victoria at least) and when I had access to the UK Census some years ago, my research was focused on William being a sea captain, not a grocer.

To your knowledge, do the Mason family (William, Mary and Joseph) appear along side the Blakey's in any regional Census for that period?...they may have been neighbours.....grocer and a butcher would suggest they may have had a business relationship aside from their bigamous children's :) ?