Author Topic: William MASON wed Mary KING circa 1833 in Tynemouth?  (Read 9513 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William MASON wed Mary KING circa 1833 in Tynemouth?
« Reply #117 on: Friday 01 February 19 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thommo
The will says
This is the Last Will and Testament of
me Joseph Mason in Ararat District
After payment of all my just debts funeral and
testamentary expenses . I give Devise and Bequeath
unto
          James Marshall
                           (age about Fourteen years)
                     Yea
Everything which I possess and everything
which is due to me through compensation
from government and other services

And I hearby appoint
William Hay Dawson
Grocer residing in Ararat
Executor of this my will. In witness
whereof I have hereunto set my hand this
the First Day of November in the year
of our Lord One thousand eight hundred
and eighty six

by affixing his mark
Signed by ʌ the said Joseph Mason
the Testator and by him declared
to be his last Will and Testament in the presence of.........

Not sure of the initials of the first witness (which are repeated last image in the affidavit), surname is Bennett.
The second must be W H Dawson

Next two images, won't transcribe it all.

Joseph Mason, late of Railway Line,
near Ararat, in the Colony
of Victoria, Gatekeeper,
deceased.

William Hay Dawson, of Ararat, Grocer, then confirms that is the will of the said Joseph Mason.
And says that Joseph was unable to sign his name owing to the loss of three fingers from the right hand, and the loss of the left hand, the result of a railway accident.

Presumably the compensation mentioned had something to do with the accident?
You would think that such an occurrence might be reported in the newspapers, but I haven't seen anything so far.
John

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Friday 01 February 19 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John and JenB

I generally cannot access any of the more recent Wills or Probate documents listed online nor do I have access to any Ancestry links you post - the latter informing me that I need to pay another subscription to Ancestry to access the links you posted.......I was once a member

Regarding the Probate and Wills etc...I assume it is because my ISP is regional prefixed as it often informs that the record is not available to me online and to access it I will need to physically attend their offices to view etc...

However some Wills and Records are available online but they are generally those up to the 1850's and 60's or thereabouts....but not this one, for me at least.

Thanks for posting the Will, I will have a look next week and see where this Marshall chap fits in.....as I mentioned, I'm still not 100% sure we have the right Joseph.....

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Saturday 02 February 19 09:01 GMT (UK) »
HI Thommo
I generally cannot access any of the more recent Wills or Probate documents listed online nor do I have access to any Ancestry links you post - the latter informing me that I need to pay another subscription to Ancestry to access the links you posted.......I was once a member

All the links John and I have posted are from Family Search, which is free to join and contains a wealth of information if you know where to look!

I agree with you that it's far from certain that the Joseph who died in 1887 is the Joseph who married Elizabeth in 1867  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Saturday 02 February 19 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi ThommoS,

Re post 112 - I can confirm from the Christ Church baptism entries regarding Thomas Blakey's birth and baptism details.  This is his entry:

Entry 1137
Born July 25th 1841
Baptised August 22 1841
Thomas
Parents: Thomas and Mary Ann Blakey
Butcher
Clive Street

Also, this may have no relevance whatsoever to a possible Father for Joseph in the North Shields area - especially as this one is a mariner - however this person appears in the Tynemouth General Cemetery burial records:

Entry 3891
William King of Saville Street, North Shields - Mariner
Aged 60 years
Buried April 22 1860
Ward E No 156
Depth 6 feet
Died April 18 of Asthma.

Ignore, if it turns out further down the line to be of no relevance whatsoever, - I just copied this down just in case. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Saturday 02 February 19 09:49 GMT (UK) »
John,

Re: James Marshall aged about 14 in 1886 - born approx 1872 - residing in Yea.....The Vic Births show a James John Marshall, born 1873 in Upper Plenty (in the vicinity of Yea) to Stowel Marshall (f) and Mary Sheedy (m)...all the other registered James Marshall births are in different areas of Victoria ..

This chap is well documented in the Vic BDM's with marriage and family etc and did reside in Yea according to later census records - so fair chance the same chap as the 14 year old mentioned......

How he relates to Joseph I have no idea and why did this Joseph leave his estate to someone other than his own children?..

I know it's not uncommon but all these unanswered questions do tend to make me think there's certainly an issue with Joseph and his family - however; and this has been a constant all through the search - there is a direct connection to Ararat and to the Railways....with this Joseph at least......

Thank you JenB for those links......unfortunately I cannot access them as I prefer not to submit my personal information to Family Search in order to to create a 'free account'.....

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Saturday 02 February 19 10:00 GMT (UK) »
RTL - sincere thanks for that - some years back when I had different information I researched the marriner line (believing the father to be a sea captain as stated on a later marriage certificate) there were several residing and also boarding in the Tynemouth district.

I obtained a Masters Certificate of Service (# 44,349) for - William Mason - born North Shields stating he had been an apprentice, mate and then master for 36 years and now Master in Boating and Foreign Trades - Certificate was issued at Customs House (sorry can't read where) 12 July 1851......

Given that we now know Joseph appears to have told a few porkies - not sure if this is relevant as I could not trace a residence nor family for this chap in North Shields....that's what I was hoping to achieve.... 

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Saturday 02 February 19 19:13 GMT (UK) »
RTL - re post 120

The burial for the mariner William King of Saville Street could possibly be Josephs' uncle....his mother's maiden name as far as he stated was King and the age is about right....purely supposition of course but a great find all the same........thanks

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Sunday 03 February 19 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JenB for those links......unfortunately I cannot access them as I prefer not to submit my personal information to Family Search in order to to create a 'free account'.....

I can understand what you mean,  I have a separate email address that I use for things like this. Familysearch asks for name, date of birth and email, the only one that has to be accurate is the email.  ;D  It would be a shame that you are not able to access all of this free information.

They are putting on more images all the time as records at their family history centres are limited and you can no longer order in films.  My local LDS which I visited each week closed a few years ago, supposedly for redecorating and never reopened except for church members.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Sunday 03 February 19 17:36 GMT (UK) »

I can understand what you mean,  I have a separate email address that I use for things like this. Familysearch asks for name, date of birth and email, the only one that has to be accurate is the email.  ;D  It would be a shame that you are not able to access all of this free information.

I endorse 100% what Rosie has said. I have a separate email which I used. This is the only thing which needs to be accurate. Everything else can be an invention if you wish. As we (and John in particular) have shown on this thread, there is a huge amount of information out there just waiting to be discovered.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk