Author Topic: 12th Suffolk Reg  (Read 811 times)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
12th Suffolk Reg
« on: Tuesday 22 January 19 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
 Can anyone tell me please if the 12th Suffolk Regiment went to China between 1838 and 1859.

DNA is showing I have a small DNA match 23.4cM to someone in China and just wondering if my Great Grandfather "left something behind" so to speak.

Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: 12th Suffolk Reg
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 11:56 GMT (UK) »
2nd Battalion went to China in 2nd Opium War 1860. Present at 3rd Battle of Taku Forts and capture of Beijing.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Regorian,

he was back in Ireland by 1859

Just a puzzle
Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Just a puzzle
Yonks

I find no evidence that the 12th (East Suffolk) Regiment of Foot (as it was called 1858-1881)was involved in the Opium Wars.  Is that the regiment you mean?  In August 1860 (Taku Forts date) 2nd Battalion left Aldershot for Plymouth.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 15:29 GMT (UK) »
No, it wasn't. Can't find the source now. Probably Wiki, and changed between when I read it, and when you corrected it perhaps. I should know better, check all official and regimental sources.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Yonks ago - and just to confirm, the 12th Regiment of Foot wasn't in China in the period in question

MAXd
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 12th Suffolk Reg/complete
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all,
COMPLETE
I'm now wondering if a child was conceived..it "may had happened" here in Australia while he was stationed here as where he was there was a lot of Chinese people.

I have emailed the person who shows DNA matches with me.

Cheers
Yonks