Author Topic: Info. / Explanation ??? Re. GRO Index ?  (Read 1591 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Info. / Explanation ??? Re. GRO Index ?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I have come across something similar on Freebmd -

Deaths Dec 1874

William Stones  39  Leeds   9b/327
William Stones  39  Hunslet 9b/242

GRO only has the Leeds entry.  I feel reasonably certain that they must be one and the same death, but why is the Hunslet entry not recorded on GRO? 
I have found a burial in this quarter in Hunslet, and have eliminated this William from my search, but was curious!!
Also I found another William Stones death at Hunslet Cemetery, on 28 July 1872 aged 38, whose death doesn't seem to have been registered at all.  I did widen my search to UK wide in case it was registered elsewhere.

It's hard to be 100% certain that they are the right people since ages aren't given and quarters aren't specified, but Yorkshire BMD has entries consistent with all three of the above: in 1874 there are entries for William Stones in the Hunslet and Leeds South East subdistricts, and in 1872 there's a William Stones in Hunslet.

(At various times Hunslet was either a subdistrict of Leeds or a district in its own right; Yorkshire BMD lists it as a subdistrict for all dates.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline plk74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Arthurk,  I forget about Yorkshire bmd.  The 1872 William that IS registered there could be an infant William who died in the 2nd quarter. 
I’ve got round it by tracking the Williams’ families in censuses in 1871 & 1881.  1872 William’s wife’s name was incorrect for my family and she had remarried before the next candidate (1873).

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 January 19 06:19 GMT (UK) »
I have a situation where I have 2 children registered (one in 1947 and the second in 1949) under 2 different names on the same volume and same page.  Can't name them as still alive but the page details are:

Child one:  Sheffield 2d 442   June Qtr 1947   Susan
   Child two:  Chepstow 8c 239  March Qtr 1949 Andra

I have a copy of one of the 1947 birth registrations.

I know that there was a break up of the family some time after the 1947 birth but how 2 registrations for one child?

Any explanation on this?

Ray

Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 January 19 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Two index entries doesn't always mean two registrations ...it can be one entry indexed twice.

Lots of reasons, if they have different references (or in different quarters/years) then it will be a re-registration, but if they have the same reference, it would most commonly be a birth registered by unmarried parents where both are named on the register.

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 January 19 09:42 GMT (UK) »
The one birth certificate that I have is registered by the father of the child who is not the husband of the mother of the child.  Therefore could the mother of the child register the birth naming her husband as the father?  I know I will need the certificate to confirm this.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 January 19 11:09 GMT (UK) »
The one birth certificate that I have is registered by the father of the child who is not the husband of the mother of the child.  Therefore could the mother of the child register the birth naming her husband as the father?  I know I will need the certificate to confirm this.

Ray

The law is quite clear( at least since 1874 and still applies today), that the father of a child can only register the birth on his own  if he is married to the mother (or claims to be). The exception would be if he was present at the birth, or an occupier of the premises where the birth took place (but that would be stated as the qualification in the informant column).

A married woman can name  her husband as the father without him being present, but if she does so knowing that to be false, she is committing perjury.

I am happy to look at the certificate for you .. I'll send you an email address via PM.