Author Topic: Martin street Southwark  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Cowpat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martin street Southwark
« on: Thursday 24 January 19 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. I have stumbled upon this website whilst researching my family history. There is an old post from a few years back where someone was searching for Bean Street Southwark. Part of this post someone is researching 9 martin street. This was later renamed miniver street. It was at the site of what is now Boyfield and Silex street off Webber Street. The person requesting information said they had a relatives birth certificate showing the birth at 9 Martin Street.
I have my grandmothers birth certificate from 1892 which also shows her birth at 9 Martin Street. Her mothers address is shown as 34 Pocock Street which is a short distance away at the other end of Rushworth Street. I think this was formerly Green Street.
I'm wondering if it was a local midwife (legal or not) that lived at this address. if anyone can help I'd be most grateful.
I'm a bit gobsmacked by all this as I grew up in this area. Lived in Sumption buildings on Webber street (long ago demolished) Then in Dauncy house on Webber Row. My grandmother lived in Clapton buildings (also demolished) when I was a young child.
My first Job was with a company called OEM on the corner of Rushworth street and Webber Street and I never knew how close I was to where she had been born.
If anyone has any information where I can obtain a map of the streets in 1892 I'd be eternally grateful.
Thanks

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martin street Southwark
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 January 19 01:00 GMT (UK) »

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 January 19 08:56 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has any information where I can obtain a map of the streets in 1892 I'd be eternally grateful.
Thanks
Welcome to RootsChat
!895 Town Plan side by side https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=51.5007&lon=-0.1021&layers=163&right=BingHyb

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cowpat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 January 19 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the replies and the maps they are a great help.
Does anyone have any information on the printing industry in the area from the end of the 19th century. My great grandfather is shown as being a printers labourer in 1892. I'm trying to research him his name was Daniel Sullivan and I think he was born in 1868 and died 1898 in st saviour. I can't find any records for him on ancestry. There are a few on free BMD but I don't have a place of birth other than Bermondsey.
Thanks.
Would like to say what a great site this is.

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 January 19 19:23 GMT (UK) »
What is his Father's name from his marriage certificate?

Just do a google search for the printing industry?