Author Topic: Help with Inquisition Post Mortem of 1270  (Read 852 times)

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with Inquisition Post Mortem of 1270
« on: Friday 25 January 19 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Could someone help me with the IPM below?

I'm fairly sure that this is the section that covers the Manor of Hethersett (I think it's Hedesete here), and I do have an Abstract from the printed Calendars:

Extent and distribution between the heirs (undated).
Hederset manor (extent given with names of tenants), including 1 knight's fee in Bellhawe alias Bellhaye, held by Thomas de Clare and Robert Walram, and ¼ fee each held by John de Stratune and his brother, William Dunstun, Nicholas de Chaverham in Chaverham, Richard de Crepinge in Saxtorp, and the heir of Ralph de Wramplingham, divided into 3 parts, to one of which is assigned a moiety of the advowson of Hederset church, to another the other moiety (as abovesaid), and to the third the advowson of Houtun church and 2 parts of the chapel of Kantelof. Charges (recaptio) of the manor, Sir William Malerbe 4s. 10d., Hubert Hakun 7d., for a hundred 12d., langavel 1d., Costeseye manor 4s., William de Kingham ½d., and Godfrey le Garneys 40s., which the lord gave him by charter to be received from the mill.

Can anyone help me determine whether this is the complete section described above, and with the names of tenants and extent that aren't given in the description above?

Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Inquisition Post Mortem of 1270
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 January 19 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me determine whether this is the complete section described above, and with the names of tenants and extent that aren't given in the description above?

Apparently so, but without doing a detailed transcription I can’t be 100% certain.

The first couple of lines refer to the 'lands and tenements of Ralph, son of Ranulph, in the vill of Hedersete in the county of Norfolk, distributed amongst the heirs of the aforesaid Ralph'. The names of the heirs are then listed, none of which seem to appear in the English abstract above.

I can also see some amounts, which do look like extents and valuations.

The first person named in the abstract, Thomas de Clare, appears at the end of line 12, and many of the other names given in the abstract follow afterwards.

I do wonder, though, if there should be at least one other membrane, since it isn’t indented at the top and doesn’t start with the usual introductory phrase (Inquisicio indentata capta apud ... ), nor does it appear to name the escheator or the jurors. If you're missing anything else that you think should be there, it might be worth asking the archive?

ADDED - perhaps the page has been extracted from this fuller account?
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9959265

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 January 19 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bookbox

I've had the entire IPM at that Reference (C132/38/16) copied for me at the National Archives, but my main interest is only in what relates to Hethersett in Norfolk. This is the top of the sixth image of seven.

I'm really interested in anything that can give a topographic description of Hethersett at the time, as well as anything that can tell me who lived there.

Ralph son of Ranulph held the Middleham Fee of the Earl of Richmond and was based in Yorkshire. I doubt he ever visited Hethersett - though who knows?

The complete abstract of the IPM in the calendar is here:

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/inquis-post-mortem/vol1/pp231-242

Eventually the Manor of Hethersett was divided into three parts, becoming three separate Manors, and I'm also attempting to trace how that came to pass.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 January 19 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I’m afraid I can’t spare the considerable time that it would take me to transcribe/translate this, and if I did there would certainly be gaps and queries. Someone else here might do it for you. If not, you may need to pay a transcriber who is familiar with both Latin and the court hand of this period. Sorry.

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 January 19 22:09 GMT (UK) »
No worries at all. Although I wouldn't say no if someone did want to transcribe it for me, I know it's a hefty bit of text.

It's been a great help to know that I have the right section amidst the many images. I love the idea that there's a description and a name list for residents of Hethersett in 1270.

Now it's narrowed down, I've had it in the back of my mind that I could use it as practice for Palaeography - especially with the crib notes in the printed Calendar.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 February 19 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Finally, I've made an attempt at this, but there is some fading, and lots of queries (mostly the names).

=====
[Seizin?] of the lands and tenements that were of Ralph, son of Ranulph, in the vill of Hethersett in the county of Norfolk, and a distribution amongst the heirs of the aforesaid Ralph, on the oaths of Eustace Curzun, William de Shew[...], Ralph de Cristun[?], John de Hedersete, Robert de Brakene, William de Limingham, Ralph de Herlham, William de Hereford [or Bereford?], John le Grannger, William Forester, Hugh de Bereford, John Dod, Oliver de Keteringham, Alan de Bosco, Alexander at the church[?] [and] Peter Lilie[?], who hold dwellings to be distributed in equal portions amongst the aforesaid heirs; and to this share is assigned the body of the hall with the small solar and small stable near the hall, a third part of the garden, a third part of the great barn facing the sun, also the dovecote, mill and fishery which are assigned above as both dower and inheritance – total of the aforesaid, 11 shillings and 11 pence; also to this share is assigned 67 acres of land, price per acre 8 pence – total of money from this, 44 shillings 8 pence; also to this share [is assigned] 1 acre and a third part of 1 acre of meadow, valued at 2 shillings 8 pence per year; also to this share is assigned 66 acres of woodland, price per acre 3 pence – total of money per year, 16 shillings 6 pence; also to this share is assigned 3 quarters of a knight’s fee which Master Thomas de Clare and Robert Walram hold in Bellhawe; also to this share is assigned services lawfully held, namely Roger Bigot, Nicholas de Thaverham, apart from the dower assigned by the lord Ranulph Herl amounting to 10 pence, (and) William de Dunstun 4 pence halfpenny –  total amounting to 9 shillings 7 pence halfpenny; also to this share is assigned customary services and rights, namely the customary service of Henry Bissop, Geoffrey Burbel, Hubert le Preyur, Roger Warrmale[?], Roger the merchant, Stephen Triket, Robert Tukke, Peter Pulhore, Alan Grubbe, Ingebald Eda ye Prestes, Giles Bigot, Richard[?] Bercari, the heir of John Pag(e)[?], Mauger Wuwine, William Cuting, Christian Seman, Roger Cok, Roger Sparke, William Motte, Adam Tuke, Martin Belesent, Adam Kempe, Edwin Astel, William Winkard, Roger [?]nfrey, Robert Martin, Adam Cocke, Robert Wither, from Ralph Gerlof 13 pence halfpenny and 2 bushels of malt – total 112 shillings 2 pence of customary rights, with all wards, reliefs and escheats, and all other rights, liberties and appurtenances that might occur and arise from the aforesaid tenants and tenements; also to this share is assigned half of the advowson of the church of Hethersett, which Master Simon le Gaunt holds, and it is valued at 20 pounds
Total – 9 pounds 12 shillings 6 pence halfpenny, apart from the advowson of the church.

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for going to such effort Bookbox.

It's a wonderful insight into Hethersett in the 13th Century, and your comment in the other thread helped me to realise that my other early nameless is actually based specifically on this IPM.

I hadn't put 1 and 1 together that the IPM is 12 May 1270 and the Calendar of the Close Rolls entry which you helped me with is 8 June 1270. I should be able to fill in many of the queries by comparing them to the Close Roll.

Comparison with the extract makes it clear that the Section I posted is only the first half of the extract.

I won't impose on your kindness for the second section. I think I'll take your advice and hire someone to transcribe it for me.

Once again, thank you for all of your work.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 16:19 GMT (UK) »
You're most welcome. I'm glad it was useful.