Author Topic: Help in translating Belgium B/M/D records into English  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Wave Watcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help in translating Belgium B/M/D records into English
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 January 19 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ShaunJ for the directory links.

All my Belgium records were found on the Family Search website. I have 4 more Stephany Liege records which due to there size I will attached in 3 separate posts.

Also thanks to JohninSussex for your response to my Petrus Da La Montagne Antwerp record.

I have attached Liege Birth record of 1806 for Charles Stephany (in 2 parts A1 &  B1)
And a Liege Birth record of 1832 for Jean Baptiste Stephany

Best Regards Wave Watcher
Family History, Photography, Walking and Gardening

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 January 19 22:27 GMT (UK) »
very curly writing, quite difficult to decipher, there are occupations and addresses as well.

In year 1832 the 15 March at 8 of the morning Charles Stéphany, 29years, "nilieur?" presented a boy child born the 13 of the present month towards 5 in the evening, [son] of him and Anne Josèphe Lamarche aged 25 his spouse, given the name Jean-Baptiste.  Witnesses were Pierre Joseph Faisant 30, writer, and Gaspar Larmoyer, 51, ??, [etc]
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 January 19 23:57 GMT (UK) »

In year 1806 the 27 january at 9 of the morning Adrien Stéphany, 43years, "perruquier" (hair dresser)  presented a boy child born the 22 of the present month towards midnight, of him and Elisabeth Petrouille De??? his spouse, given the name Charles.  Witnesses were Charles Demany 52, "limonadier", and Albert Léonis, 33, clerk of the court of justice,  [etc]     
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline BelgianAncestry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Local Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 January 19 08:19 GMT (UK) »
It's Elisabeth Petronille Dechesne.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 January 19 08:45 GMT (UK) »
"nilieur?"
relieur = bookbinder

Offline Wave Watcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 January 19 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi JohninSussex, BelgianAncestryHELP and joger

Thank you for your recent help in translating Stephany Liege records for me.

I have 2 Stephany Liege records left for translating and was hoping that one of you could possibly translate them for me, at your leisure. They are larger marriage records.

1805 Adrien Stepahany marriage to Elisabeth Petronille Dechesne (in 2 attachments)
1831 Charles Stephany marriage to Anne Joseph Larmarche. (1 attachment)

I have access to Find My Past and if there is anything on this website which I could look up for you, please do not hesitate to ask.

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hope this helps.  I can't see the other marriage record.

In the year one thousand eight hundred and thirty-one, on 22nd September at ten o’clock in the
morning before us Jean Antoine Desair (?) Bourdon, deputy burgomaster of the town
of Liège, responsible for civil registration, appeared publicly Charles Stephany,
 a bookbinder, aged twenty-five years born in Liège on 22nd January one thousand eight hundred and
six, birth regtistration n° 464, domiciled rue de la Régence, of full age, son
of Adrien Stephany, an innkeeper, who died on 3rd September one thousand eight hundred and ten,
and Elisabeth Pétronille Duchesne who also died on 6th March one thousand eight hundred
and twenty-four, death registrations n° 992 and n° 275
                                                                                 and
Anne Joseph (sic) Lamarche, a seamstress, aged twenty-five years, born in Liège on
1st March one thousand eight hundred and six, birth registration n° 847, domiciled
in Nassarue, of full age, daughter of Jean Lamarche, a cooper, and Marie
Catherine Cheron, residing at the same address, present and consenting

Who required us to proceed with the celebration of their planned marriage
for which bans were published before the main door
of the town hall on 11th and 18th of this month at ten o’clock
in the morning, no opposition to the said marriage having been notified
to us, granting their request, after reading all
the above-mentioned documents and chapter six of the title of the civil law code
titled “Of marriage”, also after the declaration under oath
made by the husband-to-be and certified by the witnesses present that his grandfathers
and grandmothers were dead but that he had no knowledge the time or place of their last
domicile, we asked the husband and wife-to-be if they
wished to take each other for husband and wife, and they having
replied separately and affirmatively, we declared in the name of the
law that Charles Stephany and Anne Joseph Lamarche were united by
marriage, and ….., we drew up this deed in the presence of Jean Baptiste Stan…
an employee, aged thirty-five years, residing rue des Ecoliers, Pierre Ren…
a farmer, aged twenty-five years, at Ongrée, Antoine Beauttens(?), an employee, aged sixty-one
years rue Porte Se Marguerite et Jean Simonis, a weaver,
aged forty years, rue en Bèche, who, after reading signed with
us and the married couple and the bride’s father.  The bride’s mother and
the last witness could not write.

BDF Twigg, Ellingham, Gates
BKM Bilbey, Collins, Brandon, Norwood, Smith
HAM Holloway (Romsey area)
HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders
MLN Maitland, Robertson, McGlashan(all Edinburgh)
OXF Morby, Cross, Gardner (all Banbury area)
SAL Jones, Mathews, Higginson, Davies, Gobourn, Blount
WAR Pritchard (Birmingham)
WRY Dickinson, Atkinson, Mellon, Pritchard, Ashforth, Helliwell, Hague, Dungworth (all Sheffield area)

Offline Wave Watcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 February 19 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi jayaygee

Thanks for the previous Translation, I have attached the 1805 Adrien Stephany Liege marriage record for translation. Because it is in 2 parts, I may have to post a second reguest.

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 February 19 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wave Watcher
Here is my translation of your second Liège marriage record.  I’m afraid I’m not familiar with legal jargon either in French or English, but hopefully this will do for your purposes.  I have checked the names of the parishes and the streets, but have doubts about several personal names, hence the question mark and the italics.
Two dates are from the French republican calendar used after 1792 in France and the French Empire, of which Belgium was part at the time, but abandoned at the end of 1805.
My apologies for mistranscribing “Dechesne” as “Duchesne” in the previous translation.
Best regards
Jayaygee

In the year one thousand eight hundred and six, in the month of January, on the eighth day, before
us Jacques Joseph Franscinet (?) deputy mayor, officer responsible for civil registration
in the town of Liège, Department of Ourte, appeared Adrien
Stephany, wig-maker, aged forty-two, born in this town and
baptised in the former parish of Notre Dame aux Fonts on the fourteenth of January
one thousand seven hundred and sixty-three, resident there at Place du Vieu Marché n° 8 western
district, of full age, son of Renier Stephany, lawyer, who died in this town
on the nineteenth of January one thousand seven hundred and seventy-six, as is recorded in the
registers of deaths of the former parish of Saint Servais, and of
Dieudonnée Peron/Perou, resident at the same domicile, consenting as results from her
authorisation executed before Jean Paul Gilkinel notary, on the sixth of January,
present month, which will be annexed to the present deed,
and Elisabeth Pétronille Dechesne, shopkeeper, aged thirty-four,
born in this town, and baptised in the parish of Saint Nicolas Outremeuse, on the
twenty-second of October one thousand seven hundred and seventy-one, resident there at rue Saint Severin n° 713,
western district as above, of full age, daughter of Lambert Dechesne, brewer, who died on the second of
April one thousand seven hundred and seventy-two, and of Elisabeth Wallong, who also died on the
second of Frimaire year eleven [23 November 1802] as is recorded in their death entries
viz. that of the father in the registers of the said parish of Saint Nicolas Outremeuse
and that of the mother in the civil registration register of this town the said day the second of
Frimaire year eleven, who required us to proceed with the celebration of their planned
marriage for which bans were published before the main door of
our town hall, namely, the first on the eighth of Nivôse year fourteen [29 December 1805] and the second
on the fifth of January, this month, at.. eleven o’clock in the morning, no opposition to the said
marriage having been notified to us, granting their request, after
reading all the above-mentioned documents and chapter six of the title of the
civil law code titled “Of marriage”, also after the sworn declaration made by the
wife-to-be that her grandmothers and grandfathers were dead, we asked the husband and
wife-to-be if they wished to take each other for husband and wife, and each of them having
replied separately and affirmatively, we declared in the name of the law that Adrien Stephany
and Elisabeth Pétronille Dechesne were united by marriage of which we drew up this record
in the presence of Charles Demany, a café owner, resident in this town, rue de la
Magdelaine, southern district, aged fifty-five, of Pierre François Hubert
Behre, of independent means, also resident in this town at rue Derrière le Palais n° 74,
northern district, aged forty-seven, of Jean Guillaume Briahe, licensed attorney at the
court of appeal sitting in this town of Liège, resident here at rue Derrière Saint
Thomas n° 348, same district, aged forty-seven, and of Albert Leonis,
clerk of the justice of the peace, also resident in this town at Agimont n° 7,
western district, aged thirty-five, who after this record had been read to them
signed it with us, as did the contracting parties.
BDF Twigg, Ellingham, Gates
BKM Bilbey, Collins, Brandon, Norwood, Smith
HAM Holloway (Romsey area)
HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders
MLN Maitland, Robertson, McGlashan(all Edinburgh)
OXF Morby, Cross, Gardner (all Banbury area)
SAL Jones, Mathews, Higginson, Davies, Gobourn, Blount
WAR Pritchard (Birmingham)
WRY Dickinson, Atkinson, Mellon, Pritchard, Ashforth, Helliwell, Hague, Dungworth (all Sheffield area)