Author Topic: Birth / Baptismal Record - Charles Franklin - Sachsen (Saxony) Germany (1825)  (Read 938 times)

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am seeking the birth or baptismal record for Charles Franklin who was born in 1825 in Sachsen, Saxony, Germany.  I don't know who his parents may have been or their religious faith.

Married sometime in the early 1850s to a Pauline or Paulina.

Thank you.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: Birth / Baptismal Record - Charles Franklin - Sachsen, Saxony, Germany (1825)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 January 19 15:34 GMT (UK) »
You seem to be under the impression that Sachsen is a town.
It is simply the German for what we call Saxony.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Birth / Baptismal Record - Charles Franklin - Sachsen, Saxony, Germany (1825)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 January 19 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for clarifying that.  The historical records I have list both in the same document.  Perhaps the person recording the information was under that impression too.

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 19 05:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi floppyslater

Sachsen, Saxony could be Sachsa, Saxony . Sachsa, since 1905 Bad Sachsa is a small town in what is now Lower Saxony. It is 50 km from Göttingen.

Regards Peonie

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 January 19 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I doubled checked the record.  It simple lists Saxony without listing listing a town.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth / Baptismal Record - Charles Franklin - Sachsen (Saxony) Germany (1825)
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 January 19 12:07 GMT (UK) »
where did Charles marry, when did he arrive in England?

Have you got a bit more info.

Dave

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Birth / Baptismal Record - Charles Franklin - Sachsen (Saxony) Germany (1825)
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 January 19 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Charles Franklin moved to Philadelphia, not to England. 

He married sometime in the early to mid 1850s to a woman named Paula or Pauline from Baden, Germany.

I don't know how Charles got from Saxony to Baden.  The couple had a least one child who lived - Johannah (Hannah) who was born around 1854 in Baden.

The couple immigrated to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1854 and 1856. They had a son named Charles (1856) and Edward (1859) in Philadelphia.

Paula/Pauline died in 1861 in Philadelphia.  Charles never re-married.  He was a shoemaker by trade.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 07:45 GMT (UK) »
First things first:
people often anglicized their names when emmigrating to an English speaking country.

If Charles was born in Sachsen he would be a Carl or Karl, not neccessarily his first name. It was quite common those days to give children 2 or 3 christian names. They adopted one of the names later as their given name

Franklin could also be an anglicized version of the surname.

This has probably nothing to do with your search but i thought i´d still mention it.

Departure List Hamburg 1852

On the 3 May 1852 a Pauline Franck born in Schaala, Thüringen
travelled from Hamburg to New York with 3 Children.
She was 31 years old, the children 3-?-14

On the 15 May 1852 a Carl Francke born in Freiberg, (don´t know why they wrote Weimar, Weimar is know where near Freiberg, it should read Sachsen)
travelled from Hamburg to New York with a second person Friedr(ich)?
he was 26 years old and a Schuster (Shoemaker) by trade

Assumption:
Pauline was 5 years older than Carl
Pauline had been married before and brought the 3 year old child with her
The child aged ? was their mutual child
The 14 year old ????

Charles (Carl) and Pauline emmigrated on 2 different ships

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1068&h=5695033&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=ZHK2&_phstart=successSource

See what you can make of that chaos. Never leave a stone unturned

Pauline is first entry
Carl the 3rd from the bottom
Dave

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Thank you for taking time to respond to my post.  It is unlikely the people you have identified are the same individual or group of individuals I am seeking.

Pauline Franklin died 31 July 1861 in Philadelphia.  Her Philadelphia Death Record list her age to be 36 which would mean that she was born approximately 1825. 

Her husband, Charles Franklin, died on 14 May 1884.  His age at death was 61 which would mean his birth date was around 1823.

Charles and Pauline's children appear in the US Census records:
  • Hannah or Johannah Franklin - Saxony - 1854
    Charles Franklin - Philadelphia - 1856
    Edward Franklin - Philadelphia - 1859

The couple left Germany after Hannah's birth (1854) and were present in Philadelphia before the birth of their son Charles in 1856.

There is an interesting notation regarding the birthplace of Hannah Franklin.  In the 1860 US Census her place of birth is list as Saxony.  However, in the 1880 US Census, Hannah (now Glasenapp - wife of Otto) list her birthplace as Baden and her mother's birthplace as Baden too.  I think it is fair to say that in 1860 the census taker simply assumed all of the household members originated from Saxony.

Your suggestion about a name change is something that I never really considered before.  I don't know if Franklin is a common German surname or not.  It appears from the 1860 US Census that Charles's brother Henry may have been living with the family in Philadelphia.  If Charles changed the family name upon his arrival than to did his brother.