Author Topic: Died in Lourenco Marques in 1903.  (Read 111 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Died in Lourenco Marques in 1903.
« on: Sunday 27 January 19 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Rupert Snape   died at Lourenco Marques on 15 July 1903.  He was 23 and was born in Wales, , he had come from  Plymouth, England in 1896 and joined the Colonial Scouts  then the Imperial Light Horse , he was discharged ( I think) in 1900.
Are there any records of his death, or even any at all of his being there.
It would be even better to find a burial . I`m not finding anything on the usual sites, except that he did make a will which is on Ancestry.
Thank you.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Died in Lourenco Marques in 1903.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 19 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I thought that I'd given you the ref to the GRO Colonial Death Index  1901-1905 but maybe I didn't

British Armed Forces And Overseas Deaths And Burials

Rupert Snape, Lourenco Marques, aged 30.

Vol 11  Page  1776

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Died in Lourenco Marques in 1903.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 19 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks . Yes, I do have that from you, but am hoping there was more in the locality.
Maybe  a newspaper entry or a Cemetery  burial record.
I'm not finding much mysef 🤔🤔
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)