Author Topic: Mary Quested [widow]  (Read 744 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mary Quested [widow]
« on: Sunday 27 January 19 19:49 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor Mary Quested married John Kennett in Shadhoxhurst in 1732. They were married by licence and were described as both been "of Sellinge". They were also both widowed at the time of the marriage and I'm hoping that someone can help me identify Mary's first marriage and possibly when she may have been born.

John and Mary appear to have had five children, four christened in Brook and one christened in Wye.

Mary - christened January 1735/36 Brook
Jane - christened April 1736 Wye
Mary - christened September 1737 Brook
William - christened April 1740 Brook
Lucy-Beth - christened November 1741 Brook

Lucy-Beth was my ancestor and given that she was christened in 1741 I am estimating that Mary wasn't christened much before 1700. As John and Mary were married in 1732, and given that she had already been married once, I'm estimating that Mary was possibly born sometime in the 1700s or early 1710s.

Is anyone able to check for a potential Quested marriage to a woman named Mary in the area [near the parishes of Sellinge, Brook or Wye] which might lead me to tack down her christening.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Matt

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Quested [widow]
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 19 20:07 GMT (UK) »
17 Sept 1729 Mary MOORLAND Or MORLAND to James Quested at Brabourne, both of Brabourne.
20 Jan 1729/30 Mary TUCKER to Joseph Quested at Westcliffe
1Mar 1730 Mary MILLEN both of Westwell to Thomas Quested  at Canterbury

So now, you’ll have to kill one of them off. 
There is also a 1722 marriage of a widowed Mary Gilham to a Thomas, but I think probably too early? 

All from FindMyPast
Joseph & Thomas were by licence.
In the marriage licence book there is at least one Quested from Sellinge.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Quested [widow]
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 19 21:56 GMT (UK) »
17 Sept 1729 Mary MOORLAND Or MORLAND to James Quested at Brabourne, both of Brabourne.
20 Jan 1729/30 Mary TUCKER to Joseph Quested at Westcliffe
1Mar 1730 Mary MILLEN both of Westwell to Thomas Quested  at Canterbury

So now, you’ll have to kill one of them off. 
There is also a 1722 marriage of a widowed Mary Gilham to a Thomas, but I think probably too early? 

All from FindMyPast
Joseph & Thomas were by licence.
In the marriage licence book there is at least one Quested from Sellinge.

Hi

Thanks for those. I was looking at these entries on FamilySearch and Findmypast today and definitely think they are the ones to look at.

Brabourne is just over a mile from Sellinge whereas Westcliffe is about 14 miles away. Westwell is about 9 miles from Sellinge.

I think James and Mary might be the most likely, but I think all three are worth investigating.

At least now I have something to look into.

Thank again.
Matt