Author Topic: Is this the right family?  (Read 774 times)

Offline Kieran15

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is this the right family?
« on: Monday 28 January 19 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm just looking at my family tree again after not doing much research for a while.

On the 1851 census, in Chelmondiston, Suffolk, I have William Catchpole (head, b. abt 1825) and Charles Catchpole (lodger, b. abt 1820). In 1841 I have William (b. abt 1826) and Charles (b. abt 1821) living with Michael and Sarah Catchpole who I would guess are their parents.

I have looked at baptism records and found Charles in 1816 and William in 1822, both baptised in Chelmondiston to Michael and Sarah. These dates would put their ages about five years out on all the census records I have seen. I'm trying to confirm William's parents names and whether or not Charles is his brother, but I'm not sure if I should use the baptism records due to the age differences.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the right family?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 January 19 16:34 GMT (UK) »
It certainly looks the same on both census - do you have Williams marriage certificate to confirm his fathers name

Marriage Dec qtr 1850   
Catchpole    William       
Davy    Mary       
Samford    12   825

CATCHPOLE, WILLIAM       mmnDAVEY     
1851  March Quarter in SAMFORD  Volume 12  Page 486   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 January 19 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Bear in mind that ages of people over 15 on 1841 census were supposed to have been rounded down to a multiple of 5. So William, recorded aged 15 and Charles, recorded age 20 on 1841 census may have been aged 15-19 and 20-24 respectively, assuming that they knew how old they were.
Cowban

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 January 19 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Are there deaths for either a Charles or a William as babies?  Just wondering if parents named a second child after one who had passed away which might explain an age difference. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 January 19 22:43 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch has William still in Chelmondiston in the later census returns
Age 37 in 1861
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M78D-25M

Age 48 in 1871
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFNZ-4FR

Age 58 in 1881
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27D-PL1T

Death
Sep 1884 Samford 4a 456
Catchpole, William   
age 61   
Burial at Chelmondiston

Age on death a year or two out on the (possible) baptism, 26 May 1822, but not five years.

Offline russell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm just looking at my family tree again after not doing much research for a while.

On the 1851 census, in Chelmondiston, Suffolk, I have William Catchpole (head, b. abt 1825) and Charles Catchpole (lodger, b. abt 1820). In 1841 I have William (b. abt 1826) and Charles (b. abt 1821) living with Michael and Sarah Catchpole who I would guess are their parents.

I have looked at baptism records and found Charles in 1816 and William in 1822, both baptised in Chelmondiston to Michael and Sarah. These dates would put their ages about five years out on all the census records I have seen. I'm trying to confirm William's parents names and whether or not Charles is his brother, but I'm not sure if I should use the baptism records due to the age differences.

Completely unrelated to your question - but one of my best friends has Catchpole ancestry (I was doing some research for her on My Heritage)!

Is there a James Catchpole born 1836, in Thurlestone Suffolk in your family (he is her 5th generation direct ancestor)? If so there is a connection!

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps a distant cousin of yours was searching on this old post:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=391277.0

It doesn't answer your query, but it does give the census mistranscriptions of the surname so you can check his age better as the decades went by.