Author Topic: Adoption Records  (Read 1859 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption Records
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 February 19 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Can you list all the information on the marriage certificate please -

BDM NSW marriage
9070/1911 GOLDSON Maud E D  marr.  BENTICK William J  @  COBAR

Wivenhoe has already searched through the NSW BDM online index and kindly typed up the marriage for your Maud.   All the information about Maud and her origins on that document will have been supplied by Maud,  so first hand information, and a good starting point for your quest.

The NSW BDM online INDEX also has Maud Elizabeth BENTICK’s death registration no. as 35062/1967, death registered in the Walgett District,  The index has her father’s given name as George.

A copy of the official transcription of that registration may well have further information about Maud, including where and when born,  her maiden name, her marriage information, and details (including possibly name and age) of the children of her marriage.    Official transcriptions are very useful to family historians. 

Scroll down through the paragraphs that NSW BDM have on this live link:
https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history-research/family-history-search.aspx  and notice the heading ‘Ask a family history transcription agent:   …. Any of those three offer excellence.  And it is not as expensive as the real deal certificate from NSW BDM.

Ask a family history transcription agent
Family history transcription agents provide full and partial transcriptions, or verification of details. A good idea if you only need the facts, and not full certified copies of certificates. For information and fees refer to the contacts below:

If this were my family,  I would obtain the official transcription for the 1911 marriage and work through each separate piece of information on it, and then I would consider ordering the official transcription of her death cert, hoping to validate some of the info from her marriage.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 February 19 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Re Adoptions in NSW pre WWI.

As mentioned earlier, formal adoptions do not commence in NSW until mid 1920s.   

You may find your Maud was raised by the Goldson couple, and that at the same time Maud's siblings and parents kept in contact with her throughout her childhood.  Informal fostering may have been arranged via a Lodge, a local doctor, local mid-wife, or a captain of a droving plant or similar.   In my family from the 1870s in the Western Districts,  yes, long before compulsory education, library books, motor car, Radio, TV, internet, handheld communications etc ...  there were large families ... not all babies survived and lack of good medical knowledge (long before antibiotics etc) ... and NO electric lights ... lots of children born, not all survived.    Children were 'raised by the community' not just by mum or dad ... community could include extended family members ...

So you may well find that on the 1911 marriage certificate the names of the witnesses may be just as significant as the other information that Maud gave.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline JimmyJazz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 February 19 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Apologies JM, I have re-installed my DVD comment.

Offline JimmyJazz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 February 19 01:49 GMT (UK) »
I will work through the information provided.

JM you have a great knowledge on the subject and I am very grateful for the help, hopefully I can get the answers i'm after, thank you.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 February 19 01:53 GMT (UK) »
 :D  it will all sort,  one step at a time,   :) 

Thanks for restoring that post.

There's many a family historian willing to share information about the history of the Western Division of NSW, not just Bourke, but up and down the Murray-Darling catchment, into Qld and of course Sth Aust and Vic too.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 February 19 02:38 GMT (UK) »
NSW Electoral Roll 1913 COBAR (the electorate), and polling place of Cobar (the township):

DUTTON James Henry, of Barton Street, a horse trainer  NO OTHERS listed by that surname at the polling place for Cobar (township).
BENTICK Maud, of Cornish street, domestic duties; BENTICK William John of Cornish Street, labourer, NO OTHERS listed by that surname at that same polling place.
GOLDSON (or variations) NONE listed at that same polling place .

NSW ER 1904 THE DARLING, polling at Yantabulla
Jane GOLDSON, Lake Eliza Hotel, domestic duties, 

Sands NSW Country directory Alphabetical (by surname) 1903
G DUTTON, hairdresser, Cobar
Mrs GOLDSTON, hotel, Yantabulla.

NSW ER 1902 THE DARLING, polling at Yantabulla
Jane GOLDSON, Lake Eliza Hotel, domestic duties

NSW BDM online index 1901
George GOLDSON, death  registered Bourke #4685
Trove has it as Lake Eliza, and he as aged 66.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/104098720  Western Herald 24 April 1901.
DEATH, GOLDSON – On the 19th inst, at Lake Eliza, George GOLDSON, aged 66 Years.

NSW State Archives has Deceased Estate file for G GOLDSON, Lake Eliza, Duty paid 22 July 1901.  I wonder if he made any provision for Maud Elizabeth?  I think Jane GOLDSON became the licensee of the Lake Eliza Hotel on the death of George.  :)

JM

Offline JimmyJazz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 February 19 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have just had time to read through this properly and i'm blown away by the help recieved, JM and Wivenhoe thank you so much for taking your time to help. I will research as I can over the weekend and hopefully report some news back next week.

Kind Regards
James  :)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 February 19 08:58 GMT (UK) »
NSW Electoral Roll 1913 COBAR (the electorate), and polling place of Cobar (the township):

DUTTON James Henry, of Barton Street, a horse trainer  NO OTHERS listed by that surname at the polling place for Cobar (township).

JM

Maybe James Henry Dutton a Horse Trader born in Parish of Wellington near the town of Wellington c 1874 NOK was his wife S Dutton (Source WW1 records)
https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/records/71234/1

Think his parents were Henry and Celesteane?
NSWBDM: Registration DUTTON  JAMES 18561/1870 HENRY CELESTEANE J WELLINGTON

So age wise to Mauds birth not likely to be her father

Wonder how old G Dutton the Hairdresser was though? Was he a George Dutton?

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 February 19 09:08 GMT (UK) »
"At the Nyngan Licensing Court last week, the license of the Royal Hotel,
Hermidale, was transferred from Mr. W. Lawson to Mr. George Dutton." 1908 Cobar Herald

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/115393268?searchTerm=george%20dutton%20cobar%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&searchLimits=

Hermidal is quite close to Cobar
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)