Author Topic: British Newspaper Archive  (Read 3243 times)

Offline cbcarolyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Carolyn
    • View Profile
Re: British Newspaper Archive
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 February 19 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I always think the same with the BNA.. I have in in FindMyPast .. thanks for that tip about f and s.
Jane
  You can copy and paste the bit you want to quote into a new post highlight the text and press the quote button - the little speech bubble one

Took me a while for the penny to drop, I didn't have many surnames with an s, but did get quite a few hits when I put in Boftock instead of Bostock

I can see that searching will always be a problem - especially when the search extends wider than an article, I am not sure how they reach the 'decision' to stop and start if you see what I mean.

I think i must have exhausted all searches for now, think I must have tried every full name in my immediate line, and every surname in the tree, with a few filters.  Along with road names, and villages.

I would love to set up a search string that could trawl through the new papers each month :)  Think that is a step too far for them. 
Lugg/Freeman/Caddy- Cornwall
Dayman/Hobbs - Devon
Brett/Clark/Hicks - Middx/Essex/London
Miles - Northampton
Woodruff/Proctor/Worth - Midlands/NE/Wales

http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co.uk/

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 February 19 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I always think the same with the BNA.. I have in in FindMyPast .. thanks for that tip about f and s.
Jane
  You can copy and paste the bit you want to quote into a new post highlight the text and press the quote button - the little speech bubble one

Took me a while for the penny to drop, I didn't have many surnames with an s, but did get quite a few hits when I put in Boftock instead of Bostock

I can see that searching will always be a problem - especially when the search extends wider than an article, I am not sure how they reach the 'decision' to stop and start if you see what I mean.

I think i must have exhausted all searches for now, think I must have tried every full name in my immediate line, and every surname in the tree, with a few filters.  Along with road names, and villages.

I would love to set up a search string that could trawl through the new papers each month :)  Think that is a step too far for them.

I tried copy paste into new post, but no speech bubble. If you highlight from original and click the quote button .. you get the whole thing even if you've highlighted! Oh dear.. I can't fathom it ..

But back to your search post... it is frustrating.. generally I think FindMyPast are pretty good.. but sometimes I search for something and get no result/limited result, which I am pretty sure is wrong. And in fact I know is wrong because I have found local family history society records which include dozens of the names I was searching. I need a lesson on search techniques!! It's weird as well how a wild card search sometimes works and sometimes doesn't..
Jane
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline cbcarolyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Carolyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 February 19 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I am also assuming that some of my tree is not covered by local enough papers, so big stories have made it to various editions, but say a birth has not.

I found it quite off that one marriage was all over the press - various editions, but never saw another announcement for any family member!

(Speech bubble is in the line above the smilies 6th from the right hand end, when you are making your post)
Lugg/Freeman/Caddy- Cornwall
Dayman/Hobbs - Devon
Brett/Clark/Hicks - Middx/Essex/London
Miles - Northampton
Woodruff/Proctor/Worth - Midlands/NE/Wales

http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co.uk/

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 February 19 16:06 GMT (UK) »
I tried copy paste into new post, but no speech bubble. If you highlight from original and click the quote button .. you get the whole thing even if you've highlighted! Oh dear.. I can't fathom it ..

Highlight and cut the bit you want to quote. Paste it into the reply, highlight it again and click the insert quote button, 6th box in from the right 
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 February 19 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I found it quite off that one marriage was all over the press - various editions, but never saw another announcement for any family member! /quote]

Found it!! Thank you.. much easier..

Totally agree.. appears to be very gender orientated, and social class too.. what is really annoying is when a birth is announced as "baby/child of.. name of man" no name of wife mentioned or name of baby often  >:(
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 February 19 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps your ancestors' names appeared in newspapers which aren't in the archive or runs of years are missing.
Cowban

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 February 19 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Highlight and cut the bit you want to quote. Paste it into the reply, highlight it again and click the insert quote button, 6th box in from the right

That's better, thank you!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 February 19 16:16 GMT (UK) »
The only trouble with doing it that way is that it does not show who originally posted the comment
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 February 19 16:20 GMT (UK) »
That's better, thank you!

What most of us do it click 'insert quote' and the whole of the reply will show up in the new reply box. You can then edit down the reply to the bit you want to quote.

The important things are
a) don't cut the words quote in square brackets at the start and end
b) write your reply after the word quote in square brackets at the bottom, otherwise your reply will appear as part of the quote.

You can always click the 'preview' button to make sure you've got it right  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk