Author Topic: Joseph Pistorio Sicily B-1839 Italian Mariner records - Crew to Aust  (Read 936 times)

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Pistorio Sicily B-1839 Italian Mariner records - Crew to Aust
« on: Sunday 03 February 19 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I have an  Italian   brick wall  which we are hopeful  that we may be close to resolving  and hoping to possibly  find some   Mariners records that  might help  tie things down a bit more,  but the  original  record may be an Italian   Seaman record,  then he went through UK  and became c crew to  Aust.

Joseph ( Giuseppe )  Pistorio /a ------often an "a" came into New South Wales  Australia  in 1857 aboard the Emma as Foreign crew aged about 18 .  Then we lose him for a few  years until he turns up in  White Hills in  the Gold Fields in Victoria  where he marries Mary Doolan,  they have 2 daughters Louisa and Mary Josephine   and  they  move to Numurkah  in the same State of Victoria  after Joseph falls down a Mine shaft   and retires from Mining.  He dies abt 1895  in Numurkah  in the state of  Victoria  Australia .

His crew record on the Emma gives his title as Seaman -
I cant find any   **Seamans   ** records  for him in addition to his NSW crew  notation on the Emma .

As he went through Liverpool  to board the Emma   as crew -would he have had to have a Seamans Ticket in Uk ?   Where would i  found the records  ?
Or
Is there any way of checking Italian Mariners records.?

We are pretty hopeful that his birth details are  below  but need to sre p his real age as  so many of his early docs are unreliable  and  need to be more sure to  prove the birth record below   as earlier we had a  record stating his Mother was
Lucia Farna ......................
And quite commonly we would see Joseph had put the name __Farna  at the end of his surname .

The   birth record  below is  about the closet candidate currently .

Guiseppe Pistorio  born  11 Jan 1839 Catania Sicily -Baptised the next day

Born to -Guiseppe Pistoria -37 - **SAILOR** -residing at Strada Del Teatro  comunale
Guiseppe born 1799
Died 1849 Catania residing  at S. Gaetano-Born Catania Husband of Lucia Cannisi
Was the son of Antonino Pistoria and Caterina  P-?ivonello

So if this is correct his Father was also a Mariner, and on one of Josephs recrds he called him a Captain.

In Mary Pistorio's  death & Probate records the daughter Louisa  mentions that Joseph was never naturalised in Australia,  however we know he did own land as there is a record of it being  transfered into Marys name after  he died .

Any ideas ?   
Thankyou  .

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Pistorio Sicily B-1839 Italian Mariner records - Crew to Aust
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 February 19 01:11 GMT (UK) »
To help others with this quest  :)

Here is the live link to the newspaper cutting for Joseph’s Obit.  The OCR transcript needs to be edited to overcome some typos due no doubt to the feintness of the digitised image.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/186749511 Numurkah Leader 3 December 1896
I note though that it says that Joseph arrived in Victoria in the early fifties ….  Also that he was in New Zealand at the (gold) diggings there too.  And “Mr Pistorio was a native of Catania, Sicily’ …

Funeral Notice has him as aged 55 years.  The Age 2 Dec 1896.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/193447826

Here is the live link to the crew and passengers list for the Emma, arriving from Liverpool UK into Sydney NSW via at least Hobart, Tasmania, Arriving Feb 1857
http://marinersandships.com.au/1857/02/media/002emm.gif 

Susiee,  in that Obit there’s mention of the Heathcote Hospital, ‘wherein he remained for 12 long months’ (after the fall down the mineshaft) …. Have you sought out patient records?  I know it was back in the 1800s but it may well be that these are extant, and may include birth place, date etc ….
https://prov.vic.gov.au/index.php/explore-collection/explore-topic/health-and-welfare/hospital-patient-records

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 February 19 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, let me thankyou .........................so much  JM !!!! 

This is a **really significant update of info ...

This obit i have for some reason i have not seen.   I  have the others  but i am thinking my Mac has not picked this up because  of some issues i have been having updating softwear,     and actually a very good lesson to also do a quick check with my  new phone  phone   each time , so thankyou so much   JM ....... its a really nice juicy   one    too ......with lots of new info ....... i had no idea about  but was very suspicious   of. 

Rootschat is such a great  resource and actually only a few years if that .....someone  helped me crack another UK brickwall  which   was the usual pain!!!    and got us over the other side to  really crack open  the whole story  for us .

Re Joseph i  have all his BDMS and many TROVE  articles  re  Numurkah  and all the land transferes etc  but this  NZ  addition and the confirmation  he was in Dromana  is facinating,  as he had been  assaulted on the street in Dromana  we saw from TROVE  but were wondering  what he was doing there so far from Numurkah in those days. 

What a  catch !!!   Im going to go and have a good read and get  back   here afterwards.

My old Mac laptop  is not updating softwear to   well atm and im onthe verge of a new one but i  do suspect this is how we  have missed this ,  thankgoodness i  posted on here today

If the emoticon smiley s would work  i would put a few up lololol

Thankyou again.. its so good getting over those walls  long standing walls with lots of new  info  and that Obit  is chocca block

Thankyou.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 February 19 02:08 GMT (UK) »
 :D  :D

Thanks, and of course all my fingers are crossed for you.   Do follow up on the possibility of Heathcote Hospital records ....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 February 19 09:33 GMT (UK) »
born 1839 in Sicily - his name would be Giuseppe - the Italian version of Joseph

Joseph" in Italian =
    Giuseppe
I wonder if this tree owner might be able to help you
https://gw.geneanet.org/mother35812?n=pistorio&oc=&p=giuseppe
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 February 19 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Garstonite. 

JM -Im afraid on first look they dont have the Heathcote  Hosp records online,  but i will actually give them a ring tomorrow  and ask about them  as  they make require  an order online  through Vic Prov