Author Topic: Help with finding the right John Paton of Stewarton  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
Help with finding the right John Paton of Stewarton
« on: Sunday 03 February 19 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas about how to find the right parents of Hugh Paton born in Stewarton 1806

His birth and death records show them as being John Paton (Wright) and Margaret Dickie John and Margaret were married in Stewarton in 1805.

There are records of a John Paton of about the right age born in Stewarton to  John Paton and Janet Jope/Japp/Jope BUT I have dug around and this John Paton was a shoemaker.

A will document (that I can't read) has a John Paton (wright) having died in 1829 - so no hope of him making it to the census.

A wider search shows up an incredible number of John Paton's born around Stewarton, and Ayrshire in general, and none seem to be born into a family from a similar profession. :o

I have found an apprentice record for a John Paton to a Wright at Haugh, but it does not show who is parents are or where he came from. It may even be the wrong type of 'wright'. ???

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding the right John Paton of Stewarton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 February 19 17:00 GMT (UK) »

I think that whoever, on Ancestry.com, has given Janet Paton's father a second wife simply got their John Patons muddled and that Janet Paton's mother Margaret Dickie was still alive in 1841 living in Gauze Street, Paisley with the Beatons.

Long old post here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=307234.0

The snip above was from pg 12.

ADDED: Also on pg 12, you will see that Gadget has done a great job on deciphering John Paton's 1829 will.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 February 19 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas about how to find the right parents of Hugh Paton born in Stewarton 1806

His birth and death records show them as being John Paton (Wright) and Margaret Dickie John and Margaret were married in Stewarton in 1805.

You have confirmed that these are his parents from the documents you have. Do you mean that you want to find out more info about his parents in general?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 February 19 17:07 GMT (UK) »
You have this I am sure...likely yours?! Just adding here for background to the thread https://gw.geneanet.org/djm1951?lang=en&pz=jennifer+lynn&nz=madden&ocz=0&p=hugh&n=paton&oc=1

There is also this http://lrbschwartz.blogspot.com/2014/11/descendants-of-john-and-marion-bordland.html

Lots of general info around. They look to be a well researched line with lots of interested parties.

Monica

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 February 19 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You have confirmed that these are his parents from the documents you have. Do you mean that you want to find out more info about his parents in general?

Monica

Yes, I know John Paton & Margaret Dickie are the Parents of Hugh Paton, I just want to make sure I  find the right John Paton and the right Margaret Dickie from before they were married.

Thanks everyone for the links, I'm just about to check them out.