Author Topic: Marriage John WOOD and Jane NAIRN/NEARN 1733-1748  (Read 581 times)

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage John WOOD and Jane NAIRN/NEARN 1733-1748
« on: Monday 04 February 19 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the marriage of John WOOD to Jane NAIRN(E)/NEARN(E) between 1733 and 1748, probably in Kent but possibly in London.

Jane and John are mentioned in the will of Elizabeth Fellows of Sandwich made on 21 Oct 1748.  The will refers to “my late nephew David Nairn” and David’s daughter Jane the wife of John Wood.

I can only find one potential child of John and Jane Wood – Mary in Maidstone in 1739.  There are other couples John and Jane Wood having children in Dover and Cranbrook but I believe I have identified their marriages.

David Nairn was baptized 26 Sep 1693 at St Mary’s Sandwich.  Assuming he and his daughter were at least 21 when they married, that means Jane was born 1714-27 and married 1735-48.

I don’t have a marriage for David but I think it possible he is the bachelor from Bearsted applying for a marriage licence on 28 Oct 1720 intending to marry Ann Turnbull spinster (also of Bearsted) at Maidstone [J.M.Cowper, Canterbury Marriage Licences].  I have not been able to find the actual marriage at either Maidstone or Bearsted, but there is a baptism of Elizabeth daughter of David Nairne and Ann 5 Oct 1720 at Bearsted.

Jane daughter of David Nearn and Ann baptized on 15 Dec 1723 at St Margaret Rochester is the only Jane Nairn/Nearn I have been able to find 1714-27 in Kent.  If this is the Jane I am looking for then her marriage date is narrowed to 1744-48.

There is a faint possibility David Nairn is the supervisor of excise at Deptford between 1727 and 1734.

I know this is a needle in a haystack search, but I am posting it in the faint hope there may be a WOOD researcher who might have stumbled across the marriage in passing.

Registers unsuccessfully searched for the marriage include all the Medway archive registers, Deptford, Maidstone and Sandwich:

Ash next Ridley
Bredhurst (no marriages survive 1733-1756)
Burham
Chalk (no marriages pre 1755)
Chatham
Cliffe at Hoo
Cobham
Cooling
Cuxton
Darenth
Dartford
Deptford St Paul
Deptford St Nicholas
Gillingham
Gravesend
Fawkham
Frindsbury
Halling
Hartley
High Halstow
Higham
Hoo All Hallows
Hoo St Mary
Hoo St Werburgh
Horton Kirby
Isle of Grain
Longfield
Luddesdown
Maidstone
Meopham
Milton next Gravesend
Northfleet
Nurstead
Rainham
Ridley
Rochester St Nicholas
Rochester St Margaret
Sandwich parishes (indexes only)
Shorne
Snodland
Southfleet
Stoke
Stone
Strood
Sutton-at-Hone
Swanscombe (almost illegible)
Wilmington
Wouldham

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage John WOOD and Jane NAIRN/NEARN 1733-1748
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 10:30 GMT (UK) »
As you note this looks a likely baptism.

Jane Nearn Baptism 15 Dec 1723 St. Margaret, Rochester, Kent, parents David & Anne

Sorry no marriage but there are a number of baptisms in Kent for John Wood and Jane, might be worth looking at.

The will mentions her late Nephew David.

David Nearne
Burial 17 Apr 1748
Maidstone

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage John WOOD and Jane NAIRN/NEARN 1733-1748
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 05:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Colin.

The Maidstone burial is for a serjeant in General Pawlet's Regiment of marines.  If this is a Kent man, then it is actually the only candidate death for David b. 1693.   I can account for every other David Nairn born in Kent, so if the serjeant is not my man then he belongs to a family completely unknown to me.  I am trying to trace the Regiment to see if I can find anything to definitely connect the serjeant to David of the will.

I have looked at children of John and Jane Wood in Dover and Cranbrook (index searches only):
 - between 1728 and 1745 at firstly St James in Dover, then St Mary.
 - between 1733 and 1750 at Cranbrook

The only marriages I can find that might fit these families are:
John Wood and Jane Smith 21 Jan 1727 at Canterbury;
John Wood and Jane Collins 8 Apr 1729 at Cranbrook;
John Wood and Jane Couchman 28 Sep 1731 at Cranbrook.

All are a little too early for David's daughter, impossible if she is the 1723 birth.

Elizabeth Fellows' will mentions 16 members of the Nairn family.  They are actually her husband's relatives, not hers.   Her husband's sister Sarah Fellows(s) is the mother of David Nairn.

The other Nairn(e)s mentioned in the will are:
niece Hester Nairne widow of late nephew Edward Nairne, and their children Edward Greathead Nairne and Mary Nairne [Edward Nairne (1692? - 1748), wheelwright), his 2nd wife Hester Desbrough (1708?-1755), E.G. Nairne (1726-1806), instrument maker and optician, Mary Dawson Nairne (1728-1794), all four left wills];

nephew Richard Nairne and Elizabeth his wife [Richard Nairne (1697-1748), distiller of Chatham, and his second wife Elizabeth Bodjam(d. 1786), both left wills];

late nephew George Nairne, his widow Sarah, and their children Edward, Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary and Ann [George Nairne (1696-1747), wig maker of Sandwich, wife Sarah Walraven (1699-1789). Sarah Walraven and daughters Sarah and Mary all left interconnected wills].