Author Topic: Jane Ann Thomson born 1879 Longside  (Read 5872 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Ann Thomson born 1879 Longside
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Opening post says a child was born in 1911 who died 1914 which puts Jane’s death between the date of birth of that  child and date childs death was registered
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline izzycurran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your kind welcome.
The children of Jane Thomson born 5th April 1879   Longside
Isabella Birnie Thompson  (Illegitimate) born 28th March 1901
 (There was a mistake made on the cert. and it was changed to Thomson,}
They lived at 25 Marischal Street Peterhead
No Father on cert.

James Thomson Skelton (illegitimate} born 28th April 1906
Father on cert. James Skelton occupation Fireman

James and Jane were married 27th April 1907  St. Machar Aberdeen

Joseph Skelton born 10th October 1907
They lived at 69 Marischal Street Peterhead

Helen Skelton born 29th March 1910 Peterhead
They were living at 2 Low Street Burnhaven

Alice Skelton born 29th November 1911
2 Low Street Burnhaven
Alice died 9th June 1914 aged 2 years 6 months
at Burnhaven.

I have the family on the 1911 census pages numbered 14 & 15 .
The  Fathers occupation labourer at Admiralty Works.

All the children were registered in Peterhead I have all the Birth Certificates..
I discounted the Plantation Skelton’s  (maybe I am wrong to do so)  because Jane Ann Thomson’s
Mothers maiden name is listed as Annie Clubb and not the Isabella Birnie that’s on Janes
Birth certificate and wedding certificate.

I can’t find a death certificate for the Father James Skelton born 2nd January 1885 Woodside Aberdeen.
His brother George died in France in WW1 and is on the Peterhead War Memorial and the next name on the Memorial is James Skelton but I don’t know if that’s my James.
Thank you so much for any help you can give me,

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 14:57 GMT (UK) »
There is a James Skelton in the Service Returns on Scotlands People - Died 1918 aged 34 - 
Ref 120/AF 480.

Perhaps this may be worth looking at.

In the 1911 Census is James listed as a widower?

Still no sign of a death for Jane Thomson.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline izzycurran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorrie, Many thanks for reading my post. I am not sure if that’s my James Skelton the service number is 51196 and his wife’s name is Annie Dodds. He could have remarried after my Gran died but I can’t find a marriage certificate for that marriage. I really need to see his sign up papers to make sure he is my Grandad.
He wasn’t a widower in 1911, the family were spread over pages 14 and 15 on that census an Jane is on it.
Thank you and the rest of the forum very much for taking the trouble to help me it’s much appreciated. Regards Izzy

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 17:20 GMT (UK) »
This is indeed a very puzzling mystery  ???

I, too, saw the James Skelton who was killed in action in 1918 and thought he might be worth a punt. The register of WWI soldiers' effects on Ancestry lists this James Skelton, and lists two payments to his widow, Ann, in 1919 and 1920 - and tantalisingly mentions a payment to 'the guardian of son James; Joseph Skelton' - but I can't tell if the 'guardian' bit references widow Ann (the line before) or Joseph Skelton (the line after).

Then another Ancestry database (UK soldiers who died in the Great War) suggests this James Skelton (reg. no. 51196) was born in Milnathorp, Kinross, was living in Berwick-on-Tweed and enlisted in Edinburgh - which doesn't seem to fit with your grandfather at all...  :(

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Right then that would seem to discount the James Skelton killed in action in 1918.
60%  of Service Records were lost in 1940 in a bombing raid on London unfortunately.

You may already have the information on his brother George but on the CWGC and SNWM he is listed as killed in action 18/7/1916 Private in the Gordon Highlanders S/8359 - Born Woodside Aberdeen - Commemorated on the Hopeful Memorial.

A few more questions - James Skelton and Jane Ann Thomson were your grandparents. Which one of their children is your father/mother? What year did your parents marry and where?

Also, you say that on the death certificate of Alice her mother Jane is marked as deceased. Thinking out loud now - could that have been an error or was there some sort of estrangement between Ann and James.

It's all a process of elimination Izzy you have to follow all possible leads and hopefully something positive will turn up.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline izzycurran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth & Dorrie, Thank you both very much for your help. The James Skelton who died in 1918 I think can rule out as his birthplace Milnathorp, Kinross-shire is wrong although I don’t know why he is on the Peterhead War Memorial and his Father on his army effects sheet is recorded as Joseph Skelton which is the name of my great grandfather. Quite a puzzle.
As you say the records of his death might have been lost. So many died in that terrible war.
I know my Dad, who is the James Thomson Skelton born 1906 in Peterhead, told me he had lost both his parents when he was very young, now I wish I had asked questions...
My Mums name was Jeanie Mcwilliams Willox Burnett born 28th May 1917 in Peterhead she and my Dad were married 29th July 1938 Peterhead.
On the subject of Jane ann Thomson I have all the certificates for her parents and siblings and they all seem to have died quite young. Just strange there is no record that I can find on Jane. I just hope I live long enough to see the next census which might throw a bit of light on things.
As ever thanks for everyone’s help. regards Izzy

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 21:37 GMT (UK) »
The James Skelton who died in 1918 I think can rule out as his birthplace Milnathorp, Kinross-shire is wrong
Just on the off-chance that you might want to check him out, it's Milnathort, not Milnathorp, and it's in the parish of Orwell.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I just  did a very quick newspaper search for Skelton Peterhead, didn't find  any death notices for Jane but did find some other snippets.
There is a memoriam notice for James Skelton, KIA September 1918. It was inserted by his widow Mrs A Skelton of 5 Weatherly Square, Berwick on Tweed and states that James was a native of Aberdeen! Of course the widow may have misunderstood James' POB but she did put the notice in an Aberdeen newspaper as well as her local one. She was Ann Dodds and the couple married in 1916 at the register office in Berwick.
I did wonder if James may have moved south after Jane's death and remarried & that's why he's on the Peterhead memorial
No help with Jane I'm afraid but if I were you I wouldn't rule out that James Skelton just yet
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.