Author Topic: Betty or Elizabeth Chandler at Milton Lilbourne  (Read 604 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Betty or Elizabeth Chandler at Milton Lilbourne
« on: Wednesday 06 February 19 09:24 GMT (UK) »
     Having found a burial of a Betty Chandler and her infant daughter Mary 9 days BEFORE the baptism of a Mary Chandler d/o John & Elizabeth on 18 Januery 1822, I assumed that this Betty and this Elizabeth to be different persons. This despite other baptisms suggesting they were one and the same. I was also unable to find 2 marriages, the only likely one being John Chandler to Betty Alexander in 1803 at M.Lilbourne.
    From previous experience, I have seen evidence that a vicar made rough notes of baptisms & burials ready to make a proper entry in the register at a later date. Is it possible that an error may have been made during this process or do readers see an alternative interpretation? Thanks, Toby.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Betty or Elizabeth Chandler at Milton Lilbourne
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 12:12 GMT (UK) »
John Chandler to Betty Alexander
17/01/1803 Milton Lilbourne of This Parish
Banns

Milton Lilbourne, Wiltshire Baptisms John Chandler & Elizabeth/Betty.

Stephen 22 Apr 1803
John 1805
Ann 1809
Sarah 1812
Daniel 1815
William 1819
Mary 18 Jan 1822

The burial of Betty & her daughter Mary was the day after the baptism, the date on the burial record is a little messy and my have been transcribed differently on some records.

Betty Chandler the mother of her child Mary Chandler   abt 1780   19 Jan 1822   Milton Lilborne

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Betty or Elizabeth Chandler at Milton Lilbourne
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 February 19 17:47 GMT (UK) »
I think you are probably right about the day after the baptism but against this is the actual burial date (see below) and to reinforce 9 is the fact that the next entry is the 17 January!
T