Author Topic: Todmorden canal suicide 1929?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Todmorden canal suicide 1929?
« on: Wednesday 06 February 19 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I got back the death certificate for my great grandfather Fred Smith.  I am not sure if it is the right person.  I know his wife Mary (mother of his children, they weren't married) had died fourteen years earlier in 1915, and I had wondered which family members were with him when he died.  I don't know much about him, his birth certificate is straightforward, he was born on 20th March 1864 in Shade, Todmorden, his parents were Charles Smith, a power loom cotton weaver, and Jane Fielden.

His death certificate reads, dead body found sixteenth May 1929, in the Canal near Hollings Mill, Todmorden U.D.   Fred Smith, male, age 65.  Of 6 Providence Street, Walsden, Todmorden U.D..  Retired Journeyman Stone Mason.  Drowned himself when of unsound mind.  Certificate received from E. W. Norris, Coroner for the West Riding of Yorkshire. Inquest held seventeenth May 1929.

Trying to work out if I have the correct death certificate.  On censuses he had been shown as variously a farmer on his own account, labourer and cotton weaver.  I wondered why a man of 65 would still be a Journeyman, I thought that after two years masons became Master masons?  Maybe it is something he did later in life, and the last census available was 1911, where he was living with Mary Walker and their children.

He may have returned to Walsden after Mary Walker died in 1915.  Fred was baptised at Walsden St Peter on 14th October 1866.  On the 1881 census he was living with his parents in Walsden.  Later censuses he was living with Mary Walker.

Strange in the first place that he would move back to his birthplace away from his children and grandchildren.  For such a common name as Fred Smith, there weren't many death records that looked likely at all.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Todmorden canal suicide 1929?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Newspaper reports of the inquest reveal the deceased had been employed on the railways but had been recently dismissed and had become depressed.  His daughter’s name was Ruth Davidson.  He had a living wife whose supper he had made before leaving the house for the last time.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 21:29 GMT (UK) »
1911 has a Fred Smith of the right age with a wife and children including Ruth.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 22:00 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 census shows Fred age 50, Widower, born Walsden, living with Mary Howarth 59 Head Widow and their sons Arthur 25 and Adam 23, and three grandchildren.  They were living in Littletown, Wardle.

The 1901 census shows Fred Smith Head single, born Todmorden, age 40.  Farmer own account at home.  Mary Howarth mother born Belper, and various children including Mary's from her previous marriage.

The 1891 census in Spotland, Whitworth, Lancashire, shows Fred age 27 lodger born Todmorden, single, domestic servant (not sure I have the right person there)

The 1881 census has him living in Todmorden and Walsden with his parents.

He was never married to my great grandmother Mary Walker/Howarth, but lived with her for decades and fathered many of her children, including my grandmother.

It does sound as though it might not be the same person as in the death certificate.  Unless he remarried after Mary died in 1915.

EDIT:  There is a Ruth A Howarth born 1880 in Facit, Lancashire.  She would be Fred's child, as Thomas Howarth, Mary's previous husband, died in 1875.  It was a strange household, sometimes the children would be referred to as Smith and sometimes Howarth, even though Fred was their biological father.  On my grandmother's marriage certificate, the father is shown as Fred Howarth, maybe because she was using the surname Howarth even though she was born in 1890, fifteen years after her mother's husband died.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the death of Fred Smith, 62 yrs died 1925 Whitworth and Wardle sub district?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Burial record shows Fred Smith’s address as Great Howarth, Smallbridge.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Burial record shows Fred Smith’s address as Great Howarth, Smallbridge.

Thanks.  I hadn't found that.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the death of Fred Smith, 62 yrs died 1925 Whitworth and Wardle sub district?

I didn't see that one.  Thanks.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Do you think that could be him?