Author Topic: Harvey Rowell  (Read 1404 times)

Offline tigtag

• RootsChat Member
  • The Shah - Captain William Osburn (GGGrandfathe)
    • View Profile
Harvey Rowell
« on: Saturday 09 February 19 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Please can someone help me with my mysterious Harvey Rowell (who is driving me a little insane)

He married Margaret Burton (née Morgan) in 1917 in Wakefield. He was 25 and his father was Albert Rowell a Coal ***** (can’t quite work out what it says. On the certificate they are both living at 2, New Street and his rank in Private (KOYLI) (General Labourer)

His son Harvey Rowell Burton (although not named on the BC) was born in Oct 1916, also in Wakefield.

I can not find Harvey Snr or his father anywhere either on Ancestry or Find My Past - is it just me, am I missing the trees for the wood?

Any help would be appreciated - Thank you in advance. 

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harvey Rowell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 19 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Was it the son b 1916 who married as Harvey Rowell in Leeds district in 1943?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 February 19 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I see that Margaret Burton was an actress when she and young Harvey sailed to New York in January 1930.  She seems to have married quickly to a Samuel Katz, as they are all together in the April 1930 census in Chicago.

Was this his mother, or someone else? An online tree has his mother dying in 1928 (albeit it looks unreliable in other respects).
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline tigtag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 19 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Was it the son b 1916 who married as Harvey Rowell in Leeds district in 1943?

Yes, this is correct.

Offline tigtag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 February 19 20:28 GMT (UK) »
I see that Margaret Burton was an actress when she and young Harvey sailed to New York in January 1930.  She seems to have married quickly to a Samuel Katz, as they are all together in the April 1930 census in Chicago.

Was this his mother, or someone else? An online tree has his mother dying in 1928 (albeit it looks unreliable in other respects).

Harvey Jnr’s mother and sister were both Margaret. Harvey Jnr & Margaret his sister both travelled to the USA after their mother’s death (although his sister had already been before).

Their mother did die in 1928.

It is Harvey Snr (born c1892 father Albert (if the marriage certificate to Margaret Burton nee Morgan is to be beloved) that I am struggling to find anywhere other than the said marriage.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 February 19 20:40 GMT (UK) »

It is Harvey Snr (born c1892 father Albert (if the marriage certificate to Margaret Burton nee Morgan is to be beloved) that I am struggling to find anywhere other than the said marriage.

I know, but without the family context we are less able to help.  E.g. if we had known how things developed, I wouldn’t have tried to find the Rowell family in England in 1939.

Offline tigtag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 February 19 21:17 GMT (UK) »

I know, but without the family context we are less able to help.  E.g. if we had known how things developed, I wouldn’t have tried to find the Rowell family in England in 1939.

Margaret Jr was back in the UK and getting herself into lots of trouble in 1939 but I, not sure when Harvey Jr cam back for good.

Margaret Snr was dead and her younger sister had married by that time. There is a possibility there could be a brother called Charles Rowell Burton but I can’t find him on the 1939 either.

It’s turning out to be one of ‘those’ families 🙄🙄

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 February 19 21:23 GMT (UK) »
What’s known about Charles Rowell Burton?

Offline tigtag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 February 19 21:29 GMT (UK) »
What’s known about Charles Rowell Burton?

To me nothing, I’ve only come across him on someone else’s ancestry tree, also with no further information.

I suspect that he’s not even a Rowell - Burton if I’m honest. The birth entry shows Charles R only and MMN as Burton when in fact it would be Morgan (although I am aware they weren’t shy of telling a lie or two back in the day).