Author Topic: Help finding lost family from Braemar  (Read 1013 times)

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding lost family from Braemar
« on: Saturday 09 February 19 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to see if this family belongs in my tree and I have lost them after the 1851 census. I assume that they have emigrated somewhere but I have no idea how to go about finding them except that nothing comes up when I use google.

Charles GRANT born Braemar abt 1822
Elspet GRANT (nee MILLER) born Braemar abt 1820
Jean GRANT born Braemar abt 1849
Elspet GRANT born Braemar abt 1850

Catholic - there is a Catholic baptism record on ScotlandsPeople for Elspet/Elspeta jr
The couple married on the 25th July 1848 in Crathie and Braemar. (Record located on FamilySearch but nothing in ScotlandsPeople)
Charles was a flesher in 1851
They resided in Inverey in 1851

Beyond that I know nothing but I do have a census record for an Elspet Miller in Inverey as a female servant in 1841 that I am guessing is her.

A pretty difficult task I know  :-\

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding lost family from Braemar
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 19 23:40 GMT (UK) »
That Catholic marriage is there in the Roman Catholic registers on Scotland's People - Charles has been Latinised as Carolus Grant, married Elspet Miller 25 July 1848 at St Andrew's, Braemar.

And there are two Catholic baptisms - an unnamed child born on 24 and baptised 29 April 1849, and Elspeta, born 3 and baptised 8 December 1850. In both the parents are shown as Caroli Grant and Elspetae Miller.

It's pretty common for given names in Catholic registers to use the Latin form of a name or, if no Latin form actually exists, to invent one.

Charles is from Germanic, from the same root as the archaic English word churl, from which we get churlish as in bad behaviour, but he has a long pedigree as Carolus when Latinised - think of Charlemagne, 13 centuries ago, who was Carolus Magnus in Latin, equivalent to Charles the Great in English.

Elspet has no such pedigree. Originally she was a variant of Elizabeth, and sometime the two names can be used interchangeably, but not always, because you do find families with both an Elizabeth and an Elspet among their daughters. She's easy to Latinise, because all you need to do is tack an a on the end.

If you did Latin at school you'll know already that most male names end in -us, and female ones almost invariably in -a. The -i at the end of a male name and -ae at the end of a female name are the Latin way of saying 'of'. So Caroli Grant means 'of Charles Grant' and 'Elspetae Miller' means 'of Elspet Miller'.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline enzfan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding lost family from Braemar
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 February 19 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks so much for that - don't know how I missed the marriage except that I would have used anglicised names. Had I just used the surname I would have found it.

Wonderful thanks  :)