Author Topic: WARDROBE family name  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Emmi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
WARDROBE family name
« on: Saturday 13 August 05 23:48 BST (UK) »
I have the surname Wardrobe in my family tree.

Rebecca Wardrobe married John Tonkinson, 3rd Feb 1730 at Thorne.

I would like to hear from anyone else with this surname interest.
MILLS- Staffs, Derbys, Yorks.  SMITH- Gloss, Ox.  HARDING- Ox, Gloss.  BOOTH- Woodhouse Sheff.    BEAUMONT- Lincs, Notts.  SARGERSON- Dearne area Yorkshire, Notts, Lincs.  SANDERSON-  Wath-upon-Dearne, Thorpe Hesley, Crofton, Thornehill by Dewsbury.  DEAN- Rotherham area, Wakefield.  TONKINSON- Thorne, Doncaster,Brampton Bierlow Rotherham.  DOWNS- Rotherham 1700's.  GRINDLE- Rotherham, Yorks.  SHAW- Bolton-upon-Dearne, Swinton, Brampton.  POTTER- 1800's Allerton, Notts.  MELLERD. WARDROBE

Offline Wendysu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WARDROBE family name
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 05 16:21 GMT (UK) »
I have a a lady who might be distantly in the family....She has a lot of names:  Janet Wardrobe Auld Courtney born 7 Dec. 1895 ...I imagine the "Wardrobe" was somebody in the family's name.....She came from somewhere in Scotland and moved to Canada with her sister, Catherine Courtney.   Janet married one brother, John MacFarlane and her sister married John's brother, Robert.  That's about all I know of them...

Offline Emmi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 06 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendysu,

Yes I would think Janet was part of the "Wardrobe" family, (interesting name isn't it?).  Unfortunately I have no idea where Rebecca was born as yet, only that she married at Thorne, near Doncaster, Yorkshire.

Best wishes,
Emmi.
MILLS- Staffs, Derbys, Yorks.  SMITH- Gloss, Ox.  HARDING- Ox, Gloss.  BOOTH- Woodhouse Sheff.    BEAUMONT- Lincs, Notts.  SARGERSON- Dearne area Yorkshire, Notts, Lincs.  SANDERSON-  Wath-upon-Dearne, Thorpe Hesley, Crofton, Thornehill by Dewsbury.  DEAN- Rotherham area, Wakefield.  TONKINSON- Thorne, Doncaster,Brampton Bierlow Rotherham.  DOWNS- Rotherham 1700's.  GRINDLE- Rotherham, Yorks.  SHAW- Bolton-upon-Dearne, Swinton, Brampton.  POTTER- 1800's Allerton, Notts.  MELLERD. WARDROBE

Offline Wendysu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 06 00:00 GMT (UK) »
yes, and that's the only one I have in my family tree....Perhaps later, she might fit in somewhere....The very best of luck to you...Suzanne (Wendysu)

Offline Emmi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 January 06 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Best of luck to you too Suzanne, I'll post it on here if I find anything in the future,
Regards, Emmi