Author Topic: The Flights, Ledbury  (Read 1677 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Flights, Ledbury
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 February 19 15:15 GMT (UK) »
The c1939 was taken late September, which is also cider apple gathering time :) :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 February 19 15:17 GMT (UK) »
The c1939 was taken late September, which is also cider apple gathering time :) :)

I think you're right, Mike. Mother in Law used to talk about visiting there at that time and drawers of money to pay the seasonal workers!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 February 19 15:32 GMT (UK) »
I've looked at them and they are not necessarily the same roof. It's just that they are consecutive on the register. Look at the  separate address book files.

Sorry Gadget, but it is classed as one residence as the schedule number makes clear. No. 61 sub no. 1 - 34.
The occupants employment varies from domestic duties/ house duties (some marked unpaid),  and domestic servant and several children both at school and under school age.
The previous entry No 60 sub no 1 - 4 is listed as The Flights occupied by a farmer his wife, daughter and a farm hand.

So yes I think they are probably casual workers or possibly evacuees occupying either a large single building or a series of interconnected ones.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 February 19 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes - I saw that and posted:

Amended post

I've looked at them and they are not necessarily the same roof. It's just that they are consecutive on the register. Look at the  separate address book files.

It could be that there are a number of buildings with the same address.

The problem is that we can't discuss  the contents of the  1939

Added - think we came to the conclusion that they were seasonal workers.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***