Author Topic: Fraser's From Dores  (Read 4475 times)

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fraser's From Dores
« Reply #27 on: Monday 25 February 19 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marg59,   David Rose and Mary Rose ms Frasers had a  son William born about 1867, you can find him at Farraline in the 1881 census, age 14 with his father a widower and  his sister Jessie ( Janet my husbands G Grandmother), not sure about the Alexander Fraser, a nephew, but I think it's Janet's sister, Margaret Fraser that is living with David Rose and Mary in the  1851census and she is a widow so presumably married a Fraser also a niece to David, Mary Fraser, so this could be Margaret's daughter, I will look into it later. Nikitah.   

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fraser's From Dores
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 28 March 19 19:04 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was born on 19 February 1875, he was named James Fraser McGillivray, and was the illegitimate son of Catherine McGillivray, of Elrig, in the Parish of Daviot & Dunlichity.
He changed his name to James McGillivray Fraser, and on his marriage and death certificate, he named his father as James Fraser, shepherd.

With the help of a genealogist, I discovered that his father was James Fraser, who was born on 12 March 1857, at Tombreck of Abersky, Stratherrick, in the Parish of Dores. His parents were John Fraser and Betsy/Elizabeth Fraser.

James Fraser (1857 - 1938) went on to marry a Jessie McGillivray from Coignashee, in 1888. She was the daughter of John McGillivray and Christina McGillivray.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.