Author Topic: DNA tests available to find unknown father, UK based  (Read 807 times)

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA tests available to find unknown father, UK based
« on: Wednesday 13 February 19 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, advice needed please, do DNA tests show results for both parents? Trying to trace unknown father and his family for his daughter. Have read a lot of info and am confused where to go next. Do the DNA companies 'share' results, thus getting better range of results, how do they put customers in touch with other people seeking relatives if they are not with Ancestry or Findmypast? Any advice welcome, Carolmc

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA tests available to find unknown father, UK based
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

See this thread:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=807147.0

Also others on the DNA board :  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/ancestral-family-tree-dna-testing/

Different companies offer different tests but a female would probably do an autosomal test which would cover genetic inheritance from both parents.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Do the DNA companies 'share' results, thus getting better range of results, how do they put customers in touch with other people seeking relatives if they are not with Ancestry or Findmypast?

In addition to the company that the test was done with, most of us upload our results to all the major sites. 

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, advice needed please, do DNA tests show results for both parents?

If you do an autosomnal , yes

Trying to trace unknown father and his family for his daughter. Have read a lot of info and am confused where to go next. Do the DNA companies 'share' results,
No they dont. You have to find sites that accept transfers of files

As an example I originally tested with FTDNA and then used/transferred to Gedmatch (now called Gedmatch Genesis) and MyHeritage

I have been happy with both sites.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I see that we agree, David  :)

PS - I've suggested that this thread might be moved to  the DNA board from the England  board

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 11:12 GMT (UK) »
3rd to agree.

yDNA and mtDNA, tracing patrilineal and matrilineal lines, unlikely to be much use in this case - autosomal testing should help, depending entirely upon who else has tested, of course.

If the daughter tests with ancestry, with the largest autosomal database, she is likely to get a few close 'cousins' of some degree.

Then upload to different sites to maximise her matches.

Here is some good advice.
https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/wedding18.htm#Masterclass

You say 'Have read a lot of info and am confused where to go next.' To a certain extent, you will remain confused until you, or the person you are trying to help, actually take/s a test and have the results in front of you. It can be bewildering initially.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 February 19 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm learning an awful lot and still reading more info. My next question is "do you have to pay for every site you upload the results to?" regards carolmc

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 February 19 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm learning an awful lot and still reading more info. My next question is "do you have to pay for every site you upload the results to?" regards carolmc

You don't pay to upload and view matches at gedmatch, familytreedna and myheritage DNA.

To use chromosome browser you have to pay extra at familytreedna and myheritage DNA, but not exorbitant. You may not want to use one initially.

If you don't test at ancestry or 23andme, you can't upload at either of them, hence the usual advice is to test at one of these and upload elsewhere.

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 February 19 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again, your help has been so useful and put me in the right direction, time for a test now. Close this topic, regards carolmc