Author Topic: Thomas King b. c. 1859, Portsea  (Read 1627 times)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas King b. c. 1859, Portsea
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 February 19 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ciderdrinker again
Yes I was brief on the Thomas and Caroline King as his parents but I was running out of time on the Library computer which shuts off automatically.Not a great day yesterday.

I went back to the GRO index for Portsea c 1858/9 and like the others failed to find your Thomas King only the other one  son of Thomas Rueban King.

So I looked up the earlier date of birth from the other census and found a Thomas King s of Thomas and Caroline.
1861 35 Chalton Place Portsea
Thomas King 41 engine driver Portsea
Caroline 35 charwoman
Thomas 14 at home
Maria 12 scholar
Henry 10
Edward 7
Mary Ann 2

His mother Caroline seems to die 2 Oct 1881 in the workhouse  and the family split up after the 1861 census when it seems Thomas senior died c 23 July 1870.Both buried at Kingston Cemetery Portsmouth.

Thomas King junior's   military record is on FindMyPast .He signed up 12 Oct 1865 to the 14 foot regiment.
Thomas can't have married during his time in the Army because his gives his next of Kin as his sister Mrs Davies/Davis Landport Hants  .So he is single when he leaves in 15.2.1887.He gives his occupation as labourer and is 19 when he joins.

He is not on the 1881 census because he is abroad but Elizabeth is at no 13 Providence Place
Elizabeth Newton wife 22 stoker's wife Weymouth
Jane 2   Portsmouth

So  for some reason she leaves Providence place for Oxford buildings  in 1891 only to return in 1901.
Is she hiding the fact that she is still married? After all ,her address on her marriage was 11 Providence place,father Isaac labourer so why leave her home? Isaac remained there till his death in 1902.
It seems William J Newton died in Portsmouth Mar qtr 1920 age 67 .In 1901 he is in Chance St with new 'wife ' Emma  age 48 from London.
So it looks yes that Elizabeth  was already married and therefore couldn't marry Thomas King.He must have been around by 1889 to father Florence which would fit with his discharge in 1887.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Briannicus

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas King b. c. 1859, Portsea
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 February 19 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello cider drinker,
That's marvellous. Thank you so much. I don't know any way of proving it but it makes as much sense as any other story we've come up with. The only real question is why on earth their birth years are so at variance in the two censuses before 1911. I don't imagine we'll ever know; maybe they were drunk. Haha!
Thanks again for all your efforts.
Brian