Author Topic: London Italian famil?  (Read 923 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
London Italian famil?
« on: Wednesday 13 February 19 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the Kent family who lived in London. William Cornelius Kent was born 1914 and married Emma Cassettaria in Bermondsey in 1940. This seems to be an Italian family – they own a café in London. We didn’t know anything of this Italian connection until my son in law’s DNA on ancestry threw up a cousin who matched (but who hasn’t been on the site for a year , and has no online tree). Does anyone have any knowledge or suggestions about the family – Emma’s father Luigi (b 1886 -  don’t know where) died 1971 in Southwark.

Our research is really with the Kents but we've become intrigued and sidetracked by this up to now unknown twig of the tree. Equally impressed that the DNA results have produced this high level of confidence.

Thanks for any help. Lesley

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: London Italian famil?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 15:54 GMT (UK) »
if you know about the café, presumably you've got the basics - Emma was born Dec 1918, a daughter of Luigi and Virginia Cassettari.  She died as Emma Kent in Southwark, Jun qtr 1999.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 February 19 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I think I got that info from the 1939 register that gave Luigi's occupation as café proprietor - it was the first hint I'd had that Emma was from an Italian family - as she wasn't a direct ancestor I hadn't researched it further. I admit that my curiosity was aroused as a similar thing happened in my birth family - my stepmother came from the Macari family who came from Italy and settled near Glasgow. Also in the same occupational area. I wondered if anyone on Roots had links to the Cassettarias. Wonder if they had also arrived via Scotland?
Thanks for your reply avm228.
Lesley

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 February 19 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There's a couple of trees for them on Ancestry.
Luigi s of Felice and Anna
Other children for Luigi and Virginia Ferrari
Gilda 1916-1980
Carlo Phillip 1927-1989

One tree is Gilda's son

Ciderdrinker

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 February 19 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Lesley: you’re spelling it Cassettaria but I wonder what the source for that is?  It’s Cassettari in 1939 as you have found, and also on the Dec qtr 1940 marriage of Emma to William C Kent (per FreeBMD).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 February 19 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies. No idea where I got the spelling - I've never met this surname before so I think it's been a google cut and paste job!! But thanks for all your help - it may make things easier . . . hopefully once I get to the top of the 'cataract waiting list' I will find the internet a lot simpler!