Author Topic: Ayrshire deaths pre 1800  (Read 5927 times)

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ayrshire deaths pre 1800
« on: Thursday 14 February 19 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I’m looking for some information on deaths for a couple that lived in Ayrshire and got married in the Galston parish church in 1702. This was between Alexander Allan and Janet Campbell. I have had a look through other people’s tree through on  familysearch but each tree I have seen has a different parent for Janet. As this can not be trusted I decided invest time into solving this. I have thought finding them together On a gravestone would give me a start but can not find anything. I’m not from the area so I’m not sure if there was a problem with deaths not being recorded properly or they travelled elsewhere? Alexander and Janet had one child I know of who is David allan in 1706 and then after that nothing....no more children and no death records.....David remained in Galston however. If anyone could shed some light on this I will be truly grateful.

Thanks

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Ayrshire deaths pre 1800
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 February 19 11:19 GMT (UK) »
I've checked the Ayrshire Burial Index and there are only 2 Alexander Allans listed and 10 Janet Campbells (mostly children). No links to Galston Parish.

There are several problems with Burial records from that time period
1. They were poorly recorded
2. Many were not recorded at all except for records of fees paid to hire a Mortcloth
3. Many records were poorly stored and didn't survive
4. The schisms and rejoinings of the various church congregations tended to scatter any records.
5 and some were just lost  :(

I've just checked the official list of OPR Records from Scotlands People and for Galston the only death records known are for 1762 - 1763

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 February 19 11:39 GMT (UK) »
In my opinion any tree that gives any parent for either of these people without providing some sort of evidence is not to be relied on on that or (consequently) on any other detail. Never trust anything you find online unless it is an image of an original document.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 February 19 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me this is some really helpful information. I never really checked the whole of Ayrshire but you say you have found two Alexander’s . I do know his birth year is 1672 in a Galston. This is very new to me as I never knew I had Scottish Roots. How would I go about finding a Janet farther as the only child I know is David. Is this common/normal for the time in Galston. I do know they had some sort of money though because they married into the Hamilton’s.  ???

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 February 19 11:01 GMT (UK) »
There is a Parish entry at Scotlands People confirming the information you have about the wedding

ALLAN,ALEXANDER - JANET CAMPBELL 14/09/1702 Galston
FR536 550 (FR550)

593/30 15

But unfortunately there does not appear to be any other children listed other than David in Ayrshire.

If Janet Campbell was born in Galston there appears to be only one birth entry on Scotlands People but the entry only names a father (quite common)

CAMPBELL

JANET CAMPBELL father HUGH CAMPBELL

born/baptised 26/09/1671 Galston

Reference : 593/ 10 18

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 February 19 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes this is the correct direction I’m going in. If you could just follow me for a minute......

The Janet born in Galston and her farther being Hugh Campbell, I have followed this and if I’m right Hugh Campbell farther is Hugh Campbell of Netherplace or Hugh Campbell of Loudoun. If Hugh Campbell had a son junior to him would he be given a title similar to his farther and being recorded in the registers as a title ??? ??? ??? I only ask because I have looked at the document and does not mention a title but mentions Both of this parish  ??? Also Alexander Allan was born somewhere called either m bank or just bank ???

Any information would be much appreciated.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 February 19 21:56 GMT (UK) »
The first problem is that the earliest known recorded birth in Galston Parish records is 1670 if Janet Campbell was the daughter of Hugh then he would have had to be born around 1650 (ish) and the records just aren't there.

As to referring to Hugh Campbell of Netherplace  this could refer to Netherplace House or to a farm in that estate (https://canmore.org.uk/site/197047/netherplace-house) both in Mauchline. In the first case it would infer some money although not necessarily a peerage style title if it was the latter it could imply a tenant of the estate.
Hugh Campbell of Loudon would I believe infer that this Hugh Campbell was originally from the Parish of Loudon and had now settled in the Parish where the details were recorded.
In either case a reference to a junior son of the same name would sometimes be written as Hugh Campbell son of Hugh Campbell of Netherplace but a lot depended upon the situation the age of the person described and who was doing the recording

For example from the death records (these are the two Alexander Allans Listed that I mentioned earlier)

597/6 Old Parochial Register - Kilmarnock -- From 24-Feb-1728 to 29-Dec-1781

Alexander ALLAN, formerly residing in Kilmarnock, Died 18-Apr-1731; Age 1y6m, Son of John. Additional information :- Cause of death given - decay; Relation details - fa: a glover

603/4 Old Parochial Register - Loudoun -- From 04-Jun-1811 to 08-Jan-1855

Alexander ALLAN, formerly residing in Newmilns, Buried 27-Apr-1849; Junior/Younger, Son of Alexr Allan, snr. Additional information :- Relation details - fa: a weaver; Relation details - fa: at Tounhead

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 February 19 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but just to throw a spanner into the works

Death Record :
Hugh CAMPBELL, formerly residing in Kirkton, Died 26-Aug-1825; . Additional information :- Other details - native of /; Other details - Argyleshire

Whether this Hugh is any link to those you are aware of is a matter of speculation but if he is connected it tends to throw the net a lot wider.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 February 19 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Are any witnesses recorded to the baptism of David in 1706? They might be a pointer.