Author Topic: Roys, Flemings, Stuarts & Shands in Glenrinnes  (Read 1007 times)

Offline kirkside

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roys, Flemings, Stuarts & Shands in Glenrinnes
« on: Thursday 14 February 19 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Interested in the families of James Stuart & Helen Roy; James Shand & Jane Stuart & James Roy & Isabel Fleming all connected to the farms of Belmerion, Clashmorlich & Tomachar in Glenrinnes, Aberlour & Mortlach parishes.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Roys, Flemings, Stuarts & Shands in Glenrinnes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 February 19 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any dates for any of these? Or any other information about them (for example names and birth/baptism dates of any children)?

Have you checked http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp ?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kirkside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 19 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have dates of BDMs from the Aberlour OPR and I have checked Libindex. I also have a few copies of estate rental agreements from the early 1700s.  I would like to contact any other descendants of these families and I am also interested in finding out when & how these surnames appeared in Glenrinnes e.g. were they connected to the Gordons and/or Comyns?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 February 19 09:32 GMT (UK) »
I will reword my question.

In order to avoid anyone who might feel motivated to try to help you duplicating work you have already done, will you please tell us what you already know about these people? Dates of marriages, names and dates of baptism of children, when was which family in which farm, what religion did they practise, where did you find the rental agreements?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kirkside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 February 19 11:06 GMT (UK) »
James Roy m Isabel Fleming 7 Sep 1712 in Glenrinnes. I am descended from their daughter Helen bap. 5th July, 1720. She married James Stuart ca 1745. Their marriage is not in the Aberlour OPR but as there was a Jacobite rebellion going on this is understandable. Their children were Jean bap 21 Sep 1748 at Rinatin, Glenrinnes; Alexander bap 9 Nov. 1750 at Rinatin, Gordon bap 7 July 1756, Elspet bap 8 June 1759 & twins Margaret & Helen bap Rinatin 5 Feb. 1761.  Jean Stuart married James Shand 18 Jan 1775 in Kirkton of Mortlach. They went on to have 5 children all at the farm of Tomachar in Glenrinnes but in Mortlach Parish. I have no reason to think that the church all these families belonged to was the Established Church of Scotland. The estate records were obtained through a researched in Edinburgh and are copies of the originals. As I said earlier, I am really interested in descendants of these families rather than help with research.