Author Topic: Stillborn  (Read 882 times)

Offline Helina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Willow
    • View Profile
Stillborn
« on: Saturday 16 February 19 18:38 GMT (UK) »
If a baby was born stillborn but registered would he/she be counted on the 1911 census.
helina
Austin,Bistol
Coole,Bristol
Lewis, Bristol
Williams,Olveston
Howard,Bristol
Shepherd Admonsbury.
Tinney, Plymouth.
Ogborn,Bristol.
Blore.Derbyshire,Bristol,Redditch.
Richards,Bristol
Milson, Bitton
Harrison, Derbyshire
Census information Crown Copyright  from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stillborn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 February 19 18:54 GMT (UK) »
This would depend on how the person completing the census forms felt about it. The fertility questions

asked married women to state the years their marriage had lasted, the number of children born alive to the present marriage and how many had died

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 February 19 18:56 GMT (UK) »
It's only very recently that stillbirths made it onto any civil register. If the child is on the birth register, that implies a live birth, even if the life was very short.

Burial registers, though, often include stillborn children, and they seem to be written down as such. I don't think I have seen one which mentions a given name, and most say "child of" rather mentioning a gender.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 February 19 21:57 GMT (UK) »
If a baby was born stillborn but registered would he/she be counted on the 1911 census.
helina

The formal registration of stillbirths only began on 1 July 1927. (Births and Deaths Act 1926)

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 February 19 22:38 GMT (UK) »
helina

The formal registration of stillbirths only began on 1 July 1927. (Births and Deaths Act 1926)

Stan

Thanks for that useful piece of info Stan...my Grandma had 13 children with only seven surviving to adulthood. I have identified the four who died but there is no trace of the "stillborn twins that she lost". The biggest gap between the children occurred between 1921 and 1925 so you have cleared that up for me.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 February 19 07:51 GMT (UK) »
It's only very recently that stillbirths made it onto any civil register. If the child is on the birth register, that implies a live birth, even if the life was very short.

Burial registers, though, often include stillborn children, and they seem to be written down as such. I don't think I have seen one which mentions a given name, and most say "child of" rather mentioning a gender.

The naming of stillborn children in registers started in the mid 1980s prior to that forenames were not given to stillbirths in registers.

Burial registers and Plot register (Lair registers) from at least 1551 may contain entries of a stillbirth, born dead, abortive birth or exceptionally non-viable child.
Newspapers and Family Bibles may also hold mentions of stillbirths.

Family historians searching parish registers may also be alerted to possible stillbirths by gaps between live births in families which show a regular interval between births.
However we cannot ascribe every such gap to a stillbirth as there may be other possible reasons for such a gap.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Helina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Willow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 February 19 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for putting me straight on this subject

Helina
Austin,Bistol
Coole,Bristol
Lewis, Bristol
Williams,Olveston
Howard,Bristol
Shepherd Admonsbury.
Tinney, Plymouth.
Ogborn,Bristol.
Blore.Derbyshire,Bristol,Redditch.
Richards,Bristol
Milson, Bitton
Harrison, Derbyshire
Census information Crown Copyright  from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 February 19 10:12 GMT (UK) »
People did all sorts on the 1911 census in response to that question. I've got some who counted their total number of children regardless of marriage and I've heard of more than a few occasions where all children were named regardless of whether or not they were alive or living in the house at the time. It's certainly possible for a stillborn child to have been counted among "number of children born (alive)" even if they weren't supposed to have been.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 February 19 10:24 GMT (UK) »
My gt-grandfather left a list of all his children with their birth dates, whether stillborn or surviving.  Each was named and had the date of birth and the days/months/years he survived noted with their date of death.  Of 11 children, 4 were girls and 7 were boys.  The girls all survived and lived beyond their 70s.  Only one of the boys, my grandfather,  survived into adulthood.  The other boys were either stillborn or lived for a short time.  I am so grateful that this little handwritten list was among my mother's papers, as otherwise I would not have known that the stillborn babies were also given names, nor would I have known of the existence of these little boys, as they were born before the mother's surname was recorded.  As far as I know the babies who lived for a time were not baptised, since the family were Baptists and practised adult baptism.  Neither of my gt-grandparents was alive in 1911, but it would have been interesting to see how that particular column was filled in.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.