Author Topic: John Mason St Pancras/Marylebone and elusive D & B records.  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Phisherman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mason St Pancras/Marylebone and elusive D & B records.
« on: Sunday 17 February 19 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I wondered if any of you may be able to advise on finding elusive death & birth records for a John Mason in the St Pancras & Marylebone area?

The only bits of info that I have to go on are, he was the husband of Mary Hutson and married her in April 1845 in St Pancras. The age given is 'full', the condition given as a widower, his occupation was a gardener, and he was the son of a dead John Mason. I believe his residence says Aldenham, although I can't work out if that a place or street?

Mary Hutson was a spinster born in Cudham Kent 1811. Her residence is given as Mansfield Place.

They subsequently went on to have a child in October 1847 called Henry Mason. He was baptised by them on the 14 November 1847. The registration district is Marylebone, and the address 2 Stephen Street.

I have tried looking into the census for 1851, but struggle to find John or Mary (unless she is a servant in Hackney?). Henry however, is recorded in Eltham, Kent. I have found record of both Mary & Henry in 1861. In December 1869 Henry married, and his father again is listed as a Gardener. It is not until the 1881 census that Mary appears as a widow in my hometown of Eastbourne.

I am sorry for such a long post, but wanted to get all the facts across. If any of you can help, then I would be most grateful, because my father & I are well and truly stuck on this.

Thank you for your time.

Ian.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Mason St Pancras/Marylebone and elusive D & B records.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 19 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think it is Aldenham Street, St Pancras, Marylebone.
Probably a co incidence and no proof that they are connected to your John Mason (give their age could they be parents?)

1841  Aldenham Street, St Pancras, Marylebone
John Mason  50 Gardener  (I think)
Mary  "         55
Mary  "          4  (I think, the entries are hard to read)

I m sorry, it does nt really help that much, perhaps someone else might have a better idea :)

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 19 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Cathy, I think that 1841 is the probably the correct John Mason  ;D

Death
MASON, MARY       age 56 
1843  June Quarter in SAINT PANCRAS 
Volume 01  Page 287
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 19 14:22 GMT (UK) »
the entries are hard to read)
Good find; some of the Marylebone pages from the 1841 are VERY faint & hard to read.

I have the surname indexes from the 1821 & 1831 Marylebone census which only gives surname of head of household & street; the full version I understand [at LMA] gives name of head of household, address & number in household. Can't find an Aldenham St at all so maybe didn't cover St Pancras.

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 February 19 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Possibly John in 1851 Workhouse - Marylebone
HO107/1488 f758 p5
John Mason - Inmate -Married - age  65 occ Gardener -born Hampstead, Middlesex

ADDED  - This is the nearest to the 1851 age in Marylebone 1851-1861
MASON, JOHN    age   69 
1858  Sept Quarter in MARYLEBONE  Volume 01A  Page 278
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 February 19 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Well done, 1841 above states 'born in county'.

The Admission Registers for 26 Dec 1848 state age 62, no residence, destitute.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 February 19 15:12 GMT (UK) »
MASON, JOHN    age   69 
1858  Sept Quarter in MARYLEBONE  Volume 01A  Page 278
Died 9 Aug 1858 of 'decay of nature'; looking for burial now to see if from Workhouse.

ADDED: Haven't found burial yet but other Workhouse documents confirm THIS John Mason did die in the Workhouse  Infirmary, Nurse Chadwell attending. No documents have stated he was a gardener though & no address on admission.

Offline Phisherman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 February 19 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy, Rosie99, & Josey,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help research this, & Cathy in particular for finding the entry on the 1841 census! I have since had a look at the quality of some of the Marylebone originals, & I agree with Josey that they are VERY faint & hard to read indeed, & I am guessing that due to the quality, they have not been transcribed, hence not showing up Ancestry & so on.

What I will do is, show my father this information this evening, & see what he wants to do, & I will reply to this thread tonight.

Thank you again,

Ian.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 February 19 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I am surprised I cannot find the burial record - 2 of my 2 x great grand parents died in Marylebone Workhouse Infirmary along with one of their children all within a few weeks in 1855 & the burials are on ancestry.