Author Topic: Captain Ivor Cochrane: lost album from Gallipoli and Salonika  (Read 335 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Captain Ivor Cochrane: lost album from Gallipoli and Salonika
« on: Monday 18 February 19 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Ivor Cochrane served with the South Wales Borderers. He arrived in Gallipoli in August 1915 but three weeks later severely injured his right hand when an improvised grenade went off prematurely. He subsequently served in Salonika. Cochrane died in 1940, leaving no children, and, as far as I have discovered, no other family members. (He had two younger sisters but I've not been able to trace their descendants.) In 2005 the following item appeared for sale at Strides auctioneers, Chichester, West Sussex, UK. I didn't start my research until 2013 and Strides didn't have records that far back! If anyone has any knowledge of this album I would dearly love the opportunity to photograph the contents. I have tried advertising for anyone with any knowledge of this album with the Great War Forum and the Gallipoli Association, without success. My concern is to document Cochrane's life, and compared with most of the others I am researching I have got very little material  on him!

Lot 266: SOUTH WALES BORDERERS. Scrap album containing quantity of ephemera, cuttings etc relating to Lieutenant Ivor Cochrane of the South Wales Borderers, 1914-21. Covers Dardenelles, Salonika and India. Much on action at Gallipoli .

Queencorgi

Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);