Author Topic: James Lyons of West Bromwich, Staffordshire  (Read 735 times)

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Lyons of West Bromwich, Staffordshire
« on: Monday 18 February 19 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching my third great grandfather James Lyons and I was hoping a more experienced researcher might have a look at this and see if I'm missing anything obvious. This is my first time with English records, so I am not sure if there are other places I should be looking.

Here's what I know:
James Lyons (in some early records it is Loynes)
Born in Ireland between 1822 and 1835 (different age on every census)
Catholic
married to Elizabeth Woodhall Simcox, a widow, marriage took place between 1856 and 1861

daughter Ellen Agnes Head b. 1861 of West Bromwich, he does not appear on her family records
son Thomas Joseph Lyons b. 1859 in West Bromwich, emigrated to Pittsburgh, PA
son John Hubert Lyons b. 1867 in West Bromwich, married Martha Jane Smith in Aston in 1894 and I can't find him after that

Records I have:
1861, 1871, 1881, and 1891 census
wife Elizabeth Woodhall's 1891 death record from GRO
Catholic records for his children's births and baptisms

I've also ordered an 1858 civil wedding record from GRO that I *think* are James and Elizabeth. I can't find a religious marriage for them, but I know that James was Catholic and Elizabeth was Church of England.

I know that James was alive in 1891 when his wife died, but I can't find any record of him after that, and I'm not sure where to look now. It's possible that he emigrated to the US as well, but I can't find any solid evidence of that. It's such a common name that I'm wary of attaching a record to him that is not correct.

Any suggestions would be appreciated--I'd love to find out where in Ireland he is from and who his parents were, but not sure if that's possible.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: James Lyons of West Bromwich, Staffordshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hiya

Off FreeREG

Marriage 17.5.1858 All Saints West Bromwich James Lines age 30 Carter father Thomas Lines office clerk to Elizabeth Simcox aged 39 widow father Solomon Woodhall (wood/metal?) turner witnesses Thomas and Mary Ann Kershaw

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Off FreeREG

Marriage 17.5.1858 All Saints West Bromwich James Lines age 30 Carter father Thomas Lines office clerk to Elizabeth Simcox aged 39 widow father Solomon Woodhall (wood/metal?) turner witnesses Thomas and Mary Ann Kershaw

Thank you, Willow! This is amazing. I didn't know about the FreeReg site. This is the same wedding that I requested a copy of the civil marriage for.

I am interested that they got married at a Church of England church because James was a Catholic. All of their children were baptized at St Michael & the Holy Angels. I am not sure how rare intermarriage was at that time.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 10:54 GMT (UK) »
It probably is the same as the one you ordered sorry I didn't find it quickly enough to save you paying for it. I'm not very good on Catholic marriages but you are in luck as this one gives their ages a lot of them say 'of full age' - maybe they also had a marriage in the Catholic church?

At least it narrows your search down James was born c1828 and his father was called Thomas

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 11:05 GMT (UK) »
It probably is the same as the one you ordered sorry I didn't find it quickly enough to save you paying for it. I'm not very good on Catholic marriages but you are in luck as this one gives their ages a lot of them say 'of full age' - maybe they also had a marriage in the Catholic church?

At least it narrows your search down James was born c1828 and his father was called Thomas

I'll be glad to have both, anyway! I don't know much about Catholic marriages, either, so I am not sure if they would have let someone who was not Catholic marry in the church. I don't think they would have.

His age changed so much on the various censuses, but this is probably the correct age for him, which helps.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 11:06 GMT (UK) »
1851 census he is a servant in West Bromwich born 1826 Cork, Ireland (down as Lines again) so as you said not very consistent with his age

Willow x

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 15:50 GMT (UK) »
1851 census he is a servant in West Bromwich born 1826 Cork, Ireland (down as Lines again) so as you said not very consistent with his age

I don't know how to confirm that is him. I don't know what year he emigrated so I don't know if he was even in England in 1851.