Author Topic: St Philip's, Sydney, birth/baptism dates 1805-1815  (Read 2860 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Philip's, Sydney, birth/baptism dates 1805-1815
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 February 19 03:53 GMT (UK) »
No, the Australia, Births and Baptisms, 1792-1981 register is from Ancestry.

The BDA site says DOUSE, Mary, Miss (b: 1814 Sydney NSW AUS); parent(s): Isaac DOUSE & Esther; (Born in the Colony) [B#30001340701]

The BDA site looks an excellent resource, thanks.

I was hoping to get an actual birth date not just a birth year, and if the St Philips date is the baptism, the search goes on. The girls' mother died on 26 Jul 1814, and the youngest sister, Mary, was either born or baptised on 20 Jul 1814, according to that register I mentioned. It would be useful to know if the mother died six days after the birth (suggesting childbirth complications) or six days after the baptism.  But thanks to you all for your help. Geoff

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 February 19 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Only two of the four girls were still alive in the 1825 Muster.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 February 19 03:58 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest that the transcription that give you 'Birth Place St Philip, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia' may be referring to the C of E parish of St Philip, which would indicate the baby was born in Sydney.  I really doubt that the parish register would have included the word 'Australia' ...

From my own resources I can confirm that there is a marriage for Isaac DOUSE and Esther Jane JENNER who were married 7 December 1807 by Rev Henry FULTON and that the marriage is recorded in St Philip's parish register TWICE.  So if you go to NSW BDM online index you can see it is recorded there TWICE too.   Once at Volume 4, line 414 and once at Volume 3A at line 825.   I leave it to you to follow up on Henry Fulton and where he was in December 1807 ...  He is an interesting person to research as he was involved in quite a deal of NSW history in the penal era.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 February 19 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Only two of the four girls were still alive in the 1825 Muster.

Right, and do you have the images of the marriage for Isaac and Esther, and for the baptisms of their children?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 February 19 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Agh,   I see you are relying on the Ancestry Index 'Australia, Births and Baptisms, 1792 -1981' which is based on the index prepared by FamilySearch in 2013...  Ancestry notes that 'this index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period'. 

If you are handy to the NSW State Library in Sydney CBD they have these images on film, so too SAG, and others...  if you are unable to access these then there's also the ARK kit prepared by NSW Archives ....
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/archives-resources-kit-ark
see also

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-registers-1787-1856

Add, the ARK Reels you would likely need would be numbered 5001 to 5016 ... not sure exactly which one at the moment. 

JM

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 February 19 04:15 GMT (UK) »
No. I have Esther Jane's Old Bailey transcript etc but not much about her in Australia.

To be honest, I have only just started looking at the Jenner family because my friends and I are descended from Isaac's second "wife" (they never married). We have a lot of primary material on her but she was tried in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne as Elizabeth, wife of John Symonds, so all the court reports, transportation details, children's baptisms in the UK etc have her as Elizabeth Symonds. We have a theory about her maiden name but nothing concrete. We have at least been able to disregard a lot of the false material floating about.

None of us is in Sydney.

Geoff

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 February 19 04:25 GMT (UK) »

None of us is in Sydney.

Geoff

You could of course consider contacting the NSW State Library if you do not have access via any of the ARK community access points...  https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-registers-1787-1856

I am sure that the ARK reels are also widely available in the public libraries in other Australian states, and perhaps at the NLA in Canberra... and at TNA, Kew, England...  :)

https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/research-and-collections/ask-librarian

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 February 19 04:31 GMT (UK) »
There is of course, the no charge website, familysearch.   Search by Records and then Locality and you should find
Diana was born 27 November 1808 and baptised 30 March 1810 and buried 1 April 1810. I notice the baptism has the FHL no. as 993949  ;D

"Australia Births and Baptisms, 1792-1981," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTD3-GW5 : 11 February 2018), Diana Douse, 30 Mar 1810; citing ST. PHILIP, SYDNEY, NEW SOUTH WALES, AUSTRALIA; FHL microfilm 993,949.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 February 19 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Is the following of help?

My transcription (my notes as subscript) after viewing some images from Westminster Baptisms 

17 April 1786
Esther Jane JENNER, D(aughter) of Thos by Christiana.  born Janry 31. (1786, as others on same page put the year for those not in 1786).

JM