Author Topic: This made me laugh  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
This made me laugh
« on: Monday 25 February 19 14:20 GMT (UK) »
I came across this notice published in several different newspapers.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: This made me laugh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 February 19 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Saved himself three lots of dowry and he is quibbling about ? ... 

Regards

Chas

Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 February 19 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps forestalling them running up debts at behest of men with whom they'd eloped. That's assuming they eloped to marry and not just run off for adventure or to avoid arranged marriages. 3 at a time is unusual. A scandal in triplicate.   :o  Was there any more news about them?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 February 19 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Was he William Ramsey Maule, 1st Baron Palmure, c1770-1850?  9 children. He was estranged from his first wife and fell out with his eldest son for siding with her. 1st wife died 1821 and William married again 1822. (Wikipedia)  The 3 daughters were presumably from the first marriage. Perhaps they didn't get on with new stepmother.
Cowban

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 February 19 16:52 GMT (UK) »
I used to see quite a few newspaper adverts like that in the mid/late twentieth century.  This was in the days of legal separations rather than expensive divorces and were usually inserted by men who had been separated from their wives.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 February 19 17:11 GMT (UK) »
There were 6 daughters and 3 sons from first marriage.
Cowban

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 February 19 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I have a very similar notice made by my 4x great grandfather regarding his wife, my 4x great grandmother!
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 February 19 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Was he William Ramsey Maule, 1st Baron Palmure, c1770-1850?  9 children. He was estranged from his first wife and fell out with his eldest son for siding with her. 1st wife died 1822 and William married again. (Wikipedia)  The 3 daughters were presumably from the first marriage. Perhaps they didn't get on with new stepmother.
That's the one, except he's Panmure not Palmure, born 27 October 1771, died 13 April 1852.

I've seen plenty of notices announcing that so-and-so will not be responsible for his wife's debts, but I've never seen an elopement, never mind three at a time.

Georgiana married William Henry Dowbiggin. Christian seems not to have married at all, and I am not sure whether or not Ramsay refers to Mary, who married James Hamilton. By 1841 Georgina had died and her two daughters were living with their aunts Mary and Christina. There were also two sons, one of whom went into the HEICS service and died aged 35 in 1861 in Otago, and the other went into the regular army, served mostly in Ireland, and died in 1866 aged 34.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 08:04 GMT (UK) »
They still do this in Thailand. Not so much a notice in the newspaper but a statement left at a police station written by a husband saying that he will not be responsible for debts of his estranged wife.

Similarly I see newspaper notices saying such-and-such no longer represents this or that company and the said company will not be responsible or endorse the actions of the former employee.

Andy_T
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw