Author Topic: Breeds of Hastings and Rye  (Read 1177 times)

Offline campsie22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Breeds of Hastings and Rye
« on: Monday 25 February 19 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am looking for some help.  I have been reading some posts and some of them I think may link to my ancestors.  It starts in Rye and moves to Hastings.  I have found a Frederick Breeds my GG  grandfather married Mary Anne Harman in 1860 Hastings,  Then Robert Breeds married Mary Hadden in 1819 Hastings,  Richard Breeds (born Rye),  married Mary Guy 1788 Hastings,  then I am stuck.  I have Joseph Breeds married to Susannah Mansfield,  I can't find any marriage or birth details for Joseph or Susannah.  They have a number of children born in Rye.  Any help or advice as where to look would be most appreciated.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Breeds of Hastings and Rye
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can we start with some dates for the children
Mary 1757
Anne Mansfield 1760
Susannah 1761
Joseph 1764
Richard 1766
John 1769

The only Joseph I can see baptised in Rye before that

Joseph 19 Feb 1715 s of Thomas and Jude Breads.

Which seems a little old to be your man.

The only marriage I can see is in Kent but it's not to Susannah Mansfield
Joseph Breade to Susannah Fagg 18.8.1756 at Lydd.

There is a Susan Breads buried there 22 .8.1781
no little Breeds

Have you tried for Wills for Rye?

Ciderdrinker

Offline campsie22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker thank you for replying to my post .  Yes that's the family I found in Rye.  Richard born 1766 is the last of my tree that I can trace.  According to the Parish records his parents are Joseph and Susannah Breads.  There is no mention of the name Mansfield except for the second child named Anne Mansfield Breads.  On the family search website someone has input Susannah Mansfield as being married to Joseph, but there is no marriage or birth details for Joseph or Susannah and the birth dates don't match Joseph born 1725 and Susannah born 1748 so I don't know if it is just a guess because of Mansefield being in the second childs name.  I also looked at the Joseph and Susannah that married in 1756 in Kent.  The only child that I can trace of theirs was born in 1773 in Kent so I was thinking that they could have moved to Rye after marrying as the first child born in Rye to that Joseph and Susannah was 1757.  If I send for Richards (1766) birth certificate will it have the mothers full name or is it the same as the Parish records and not give her maiden name.  Goodness my head is spinning with all this, but I am also enjoying it. 
Once again thank you, very much appreciated.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 19:24 GMT (UK) »
No birth certificates prior to 1837 when general registration was introduced.

Prior to that you will need to rely on baptisms in parish registers which commonly didn't give the mother's name at all as early as you need.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 February 19 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Campsie,
I have the answer to your mystery.  Joseph Breads married Susannah Fagg 18 Aug. 1756 at Lydd. I didn't find the marriage to Mansfield either, and I believe that came from an assumption made by someone a few years ago, based on the fact that Joseph and Susannah's daughter Anne, had the middle name Mansfield.  I descend from Joseph and Susannah's daughter Sarah who was born 3 March 1773 at Lydd. The spelling is "Breade" on both the marriage and birth of Sarah - LDS Family Search. 
Foxglove
Searching for BREEDS/BREADS, FARNDELL, JOY, DOBELL, FARMER, FRIEND, AUSTIN/AUSTEN, KENNARD, BRITCHER, WATERS, EAST, KIRBY in Kent and East Sussex,  also JENNINGS, BELL, COULTAS  in Yorkshire

Offline campsie22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 February 19 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi many thanks to both of you for replying to my post.  Pheno thank you for that information about the birth certificates prior to 1837 I wasn't aware of that.

Foxglove I couldn't have asked for better news, the problem is solved.

Thank you.