Author Topic: British Army service records lookup please c1800  (Read 2724 times)

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British Army service records lookup please c1800
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 17:56 GMT (UK) »
And that reminds me of something of something I saw last night on FamilySearch, but didn't have reason to pursue
Two baptisms at Berwick
Margaret Cary in 1798
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGRB-6PX6

Ann Cary in 1800
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP72-NPJN

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 18:08 GMT (UK) »
As we can guess from Ann's details, Berwick was using the Barrington registers, giving extra info
We can see the BT's here
Margaret, 13 May
two images
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-8967-PQVC?i=221&cat=1827339

Ann, 27 July
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G967-PQNT?i=249&cat=1827339

Sure it says Carey on the BT for Ann :-\

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great Grandpa William Hillman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Wow this is fantastic thank you again!!

It won't let me view the two images you posted last. This all fits in beautifully though and I now have Ann's maiden name. I see daughter Ann died in 1802 in Berwick. So the invalids were garrisoned in Berwick before Jersey?
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you are right, Ann died 28 May 1802, from smallpox. Which is sad.
Margaret was Robert + Ann's second daughter, so that's there's at least one more we don't know about (if she survived)
And as they didn't have a son in Berwick, we are left not knowing if James born Jersey was the first or not.

My knowledge of the British Army is extremely limited, I gather there was a permanent station of Invalid company or companies in Berwick at the time. Were invalid companies then replaced by the veteran battalions, hence Robert going to Jersey?
John

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 23:00 GMT (UK) »
I’ve learnt a lot the last two days! I didn’t realize that those enlisting before 1806 were for life! I guess Robert became too broken and worn out in the end and they discharged him in 1810. I think I’d speculate that he became ill during his time in the West Indies and never quite recovered. If he had other children then it would have to have been before 1793/4 when he left for the Indies and so not Berwick. I’m curious as to where he was between leaving the 4th in 1790 and joining the 21st abroad in 1793. From joining the 4th in 1774 to 1790 he was stationed around Ireland so my guess would be as Ann was Irish that they married there and probably had children in Ireland? I have no Idea who this other Robert could be, I’ve found him on the 1841 I think in St Helier, Jersey aged 60 born England.

https://archive.org/details/cihm_48387/page/n61  This is interesting, the 4th were stationed in Maryborough in 1772-1775 so Robert joined up whilst they were garrisoned in his hometown. They moved about a bit!
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes it seems Robert joined the 4th around the time they were in Maryborough. Why does TNA say 7th?
I'd agree that Ireland is the most likely place of marriage for Robert and Ann. But that could make finding it very difficult, if not impossible, unless you get lucky some day. But at least now you have Ann's maiden name, thanks to Shute Barrington!
John

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 28 February 19 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Because the 4th Horse because the 7th Dragoon guards, I think in 1788.
I might as well give up on a marriage, I tried once before.. I can't believe how bad Irish records are.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 28 February 19 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I might as well give up on a marriage, I tried once before.. I can't believe how bad Irish records are.
You're probably right, although at least you now have the benefit of knowing Ann's maiden name.
She might not have been Irish.
Cowban

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 28 February 19 21:11 GMT (UK) »
The only lead I have with Ann is the 1841 where she is down as Irish. The fact that John found there was an older daughter to this couple before Margaret in 1798 means the older girl must have been born before Robert went to the West Indies. As far as I can tell he was in Ireland up until this point and didn't return from the West Indies until late 1797. There are a few baptisms that could be Ann Campbell at the right time in Ireland.