Author Topic: Edwin Farey  (Read 1666 times)

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Edwin Farey
« on: Thursday 28 February 19 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I am looking for confirmation that this fellow served in the navy 1862-1867.  Biographical details as below:

1846 born to James & Mary Ann Farey, Hackney
1851 Census with family in Elizabeth St West Hackney
1854 baptised West Hackney
1861 Census boarding at Graham Terrace Hackney (both parents deceased)
1862 joined navy? Five years service?
1864 in China and Japan aboard HMS Barrosa and awarded French war medal; other ships Impregnable and Minotaur?
1868 married Ellen Brunning in Bethnal Green
1869 birth of only child Mary Eleanor in Bethnal Green
1871 Census living in Batling Place St Shoreditch
1873/4 emigrated to Adelaide South Australia aboard Earl Dalhousie as Fred E, Ellen and Mary Farey
1905 daughter Mary Eleanor dies in Adelaide
1916 Edwin dies in Adelaide, obituary cites navy career as above
1927 wife Ellen dies in Adelaide

Any help is always greatly appreciated.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Farey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 February 19 07:36 GMT (UK) »
I can't see any Royal Navy records for an Edwin Farey. There was an Edward Farey in the navy around that time but he was born in Great Shelford, Cambridgeshire, circa 1848.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 February 19 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Marriage 3rd June 1868 gives his occupation as 'Superintend'
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 February 19 10:02 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast, under "British Royal Navy & Royal Marines Service & Pension Records 1704-1919" has a transcribed entry for an "Edward Farey, year of discharge 1867".

Looking at the original (page 103) it reads
"Edw. Farey  CS  23241 A
N**  1 Oct 1867"

No details of ships served on. The abbreviation "Edw." allows Edwin as a possibility.

ShaunJ - could the above be "...Edward Farey, Great Shelford" or can you say with confidence the above is not that Edward?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 February 19 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Link to the Great Shelford record index, he had date of birth 13 February 1848
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7911769

Continuous Service Number:   23241A
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 February 19 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for confirming the FindMyPast Edw. Farey as the Great Shelford Edward Farey. Pity - the 1867 discharge date would tie in with the 1868 marriage - if the occupation "Superintend" indicated Edwin was no longer in the navy.

The Barrosa was certainly on the China/Japan station in 1864 - several newspaper reports.   

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 February 19 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your responses and apologies in the delay in acknowledging them, end of month is a busy time for us accountants.

I didn't have the actually marriage and it certainly is the correct one as the fathers name and occupation matches and the female witness is his oldest sister.

I too saw the Edw Farey and felt it wasn't him so you have confirmed that.

Here is the link to the obituary from 1916
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/164670628?searchTerm=edwin%20farey            &searchLimits=

I don't understand why he would have been shown as Fred E Farey on the ships passenger list in 1874, so perhaps it's the name he may have served under in the navy.

Also, I don't have the first clue on how to verify the awarding of the French war medal.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 February 19 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I don't understand why he would have been shown as Fred E Farey on the ships passenger list in 1874, so perhaps it's the name he may have served under in the navy.

I had a good look at all the Fareys (and similar names) who appear in Royal Navy records (and all the Edwins) and didn't see any likely candidates. Perhaps he served under an assumed name.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eleuthera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I cannot help you with the information that you seek, sorry! But I just wanted to say that we are related. Edwin's youngest sister on the 1851 census, Elizabeth Eleanor Farey is my gggrandmother. I found a small article in the local paper when the mother Mary died, leaving James with eight children. The paper said that he was a seedsman.So many children, and James baptised all the children together a few years later and then he passed away suddenly. Who knows what happened to them, I do know from censuses that at 10, Elizabeth lived with an older sister who married a policeman, and then when she was 20 was in domestic service, at 23 she came out to Australia, to Qld (goldfields) and then settled at Randwick in Sydney NSW. I wonder who left Hackney and who didn't? My daughter is living in Hackney at the moment and I was just thinking about it when I saw your post. Good luck with finding our more information. Kind Regards