Author Topic: Bastardy Order payments  (Read 661 times)

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bastardy Order payments
« on: Friday 01 March 19 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if a bastardy order payment awarded in the 1880's to a mother for her two year old child would cease if the mother marries (not to the father of the child) two years after the order was made, or would the payments from the father of the child continue for the period stated in the order which in this case was until the child reached the age of 13?

Offline 4b2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy Order payments
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 23:11 BST (UK) »
I have come across bastardy orders for three children born to the same man in 1783 and 1785. Each states that the father must pay £1 6s. per week, plus one shilling per week.

I thought this was a bit high, and looked up average wages at the time and find that a labourer could expect to earn about 12s. per day. The father was a miner, so will assume he made something like £3 15s. per week.

Yet it seems he was required to pay £3 19s. per week for these children.

Are these sums he really would have had to pay continually?

Here is a copy of one of the orders:

The Order made by James Hodson and Thomas Lyon Esquires – two of his Majestys Justices of the Peace and Quorum in and for the said County ...der their Hands and Seals bearing date the Second – day of September last Wherein and Whereby Edward Leicester of Orrell – in the said County Collier – is declared and Adjudged to be the reputed Father of John a – male Bastard Child born upon the Body Margaret Waring – of the Township of Orrell aforesaid – Singlewoman and he thereby Ordered forthwith to pay or come to be paid unto the Overseers of the Poor of the Township  of Orrell – aforesaid or some of them the sum of One pound six Shillings – in Money weekly and every Week from that time for and during so long time as the said Bastard Child shall be chargeable to the same Township for and towards the relief and keeping of the same Bastard Child to the Time of making the same Order and also to pay or cause to be paid unto the Overseers of the poor of the said Township of Orrell for the Timebeing or some of them the sum of One shilling in Money Weekly and every Week from that Time for and during so long Time as the said Bastard child shall be chargeable to the same Township for and towards the relief and keeping of the same Bastard Child is by this Court ratified and confined to appeal … made and due Service of the said Order proved upon the oath of James Liptrot -

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 23 08:49 BST (UK) »
4b2 I think you have your LSD mixed up.
L is for pounds
S is for shillings
D is for pence
A labourer in the late 1700s would be earning about 12 pence per day.
In the 1930s a labourer might be happy to earn 3 pounds 10 shillings a week.

Going back to the original question, if it was not stated in the original court ruling that the mother would cease to get the allowance if she got married then I do not think it would stop.

Offline 4b2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 23 09:05 BST (UK) »
4b2 I think you have your LSD mixed up.
L is for pounds
S is for shillings
D is for pence
A labourer in the late 1700s would be earning about 12 pence per day.
In the 1930s a labourer might be happy to earn 3 pounds 10 shillings a week.

Yes. You are correct.

Offline Wellington66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 23 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I don't know if this helps. 
This order was dated 30th January 1907.
"Minutes of Adjudication.  Order to pay 3/- a week from birth of child until 16 years of age and £3.16.6d. costs".   
I do know this was definitely paid as directed even though the mother did marry two years later.
Welly.
CLARKE  Wm Lowestoft Sfk/Gt.Yarmouth Nfk
GOODING Ann Barnby/Beccles Sfk