Author Topic: Cannot find marriage of JOSEPH DOBB to MARY.  (Read 1827 times)

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cannot find marriage of JOSEPH DOBB to MARY.
« on: Saturday 02 March 19 20:55 GMT (UK) »
My 5th great grandfather.
From childrens baptisms in Hucknall Torkard mother is shown as Mary.
I believe he was born in Hucknall around 1745,as his burial in Hucknall in 1836 shows his age as 91.
His youngest daughter I believe was Elizabeth Dobb baptised in Hucknall in 1768.
His marriage to a Mary would seem therefor to be between 1763 and 1768.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find marriage of JOSEPH DOBB to MARY.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 March 19 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The only Joseph Dobbs born around 1742 that I can see was at St Mary's Nottingham 9 Feb 1742 son of Joseph and Mary Dobbs, cannot see a marriage for him.

The only marriage I can see for a Joseph Dobb/s to a Mary in the time frame is at Long Bennington Lincolnshire on 14 May 1767 to Mary Jackson and that says he was of Foston Linclonshire so unless he moved around not sure if it's yours.

NG

Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 March 19 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nottsgirl1,
Many thanks for your reply.
I think the marriage will remain a mystery,feel pretty certain the family didn't venture far from Hucknall at that time !
Could have been Joseph's birth,maybe he was a little older than 91 when he died.
Thanks again
Colin.
Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 March 19 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,

No christening in Hucknall for Joseph Dobb on my disc, and the one I gave you already in St Mary's was a christening no date of birth.

I'll check the Hucknall registers next time I'm in the archives for you.

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 March 19 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help NG.
Colin

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 March 19 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked out Alfreton PR's?  There are a number of Dobb folk there, including a Joseph son of Joseph Dobb and Mary Naylour bpt 21/1/1749.  Joseph and Mary mar 2/11/1743 Alfreton.  The name Jonathan seems to be popular there too.

Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 March 19 16:02 GMT (UK) »
You say Elizabeth was his youngest daughter. There are a few others.
Baptised Hucknall Torkard, St Mary Magdalene with parents Joseph and Mary.
 1782 Jonathan DOB
1772 Thomas Dobb
1776 Mary
1778 Hannah
1786 Sarah
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies.
Valerie-I think you may well be right,Alfreton  is quite close to Hucknall, there don't seem to be any other records that fit.The only discrepancy is Joseph's age at death,recorded as age 91,but if born in 1749 would have been 87.So not too big a difference for those times ?
I did discover the other siblings ,Larkspur,and managed to find records of their lives.
Thanks again,
Colin

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 March 19 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,

Have checked Hucknall christening from 1728 to 1761 and the only DOBB was a Elizabeth Dobb daughter of John and Mary 4 June 1752 no Joseph so maybe they did come from some where else.

NG