Author Topic: Help needed. Cuthbert Metcalf baptism  (Read 672 times)

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed. Cuthbert Metcalf baptism
« on: Sunday 03 March 19 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have a baptism for Cuthbert Metcalf at Hawes in 1773, parents Richard and Dorothy Metcalf(e). I also have a death for him in 1848 in Lancaster, which gives his age as 82, making his birth 1766. He is listed in 1841 census as age 68, living at Penny St Lancaster. I can find no baptism for 1766. My query, would it be the correct baptism for him in 1773? I have also reason to believe that his marriage to Mary was in Grinton 1798. Any help on this would be fantastic, the Metcalf name around these parts is a nightmare to fathom out who belongs to who. Many thanks again

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed. Cuthbert Metcalf baptism
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 March 19 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Two things worth considering. In the 1841 Census ages were usually rounded down so he could have been any age from 68-73 and also the age given at death is only as good as the knowledge of the person giving the information. Unless you are 100% certain always take 1841 Census ages and death ages with a pinch of salt, so to speak.

Are you certain he was born in Hawes? Have you found any other baptisms between 1766 and 1773 which could be your Cuthbert?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 March 19 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to add, have you considered all the variant spellings of Metcalf? I have some Metcalfs who occasionally appear as Medcalf.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 March 19 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks emeltom, but that’s the thing, I am not sure he was from Hawes. I cannot find anything on lancs opc, except the Baptisms of his children at Lancaster, which was from 1802. All the various spellings come up on that site also.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 March 19 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I have just found another baptism for Cuthbert, 1768 Stalling Busk on Freereg. The date is more in keeping with death record and census. This certainly isn’t easy!