Author Topic: Clarborough PR's  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
Clarborough PR's
« on: Sunday 03 March 19 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have access to Clarborough bpts please?  I am looking for John Holt supposedly born 12/2/1852.

Many thanks
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clarborough PR's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 March 19 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I can check when I'm in Nottingham archives on Wednesday all being well.

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 March 19 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Many thanks for searching for John.  His alleged dob is from family records.  His family were in Clarborough on the 1841 and 1851 census returns.  In 1861 they were in Retford, John is age 9 living with his grandmother Mary.  John gives his place of birth as East Retford.  My supposition is that John is the illegitimate son of Sarah Ann Holt bpt Apr 1833 Gainsborough bur 1/2/1858 aged 24 Clarborough, Mary's eldest daughter (husband Richard in service in Retford).  I read that the Clarborough bpts for 1852 are not online?

Anything you can uncover at the Archives, on John's bpt or Sarah Ann's burial would be very much appreciated.  Do you know whether the MI's for Clarborough have been done?

Regards
Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 March 19 10:55 GMT (UK) »
hi,

I'll have a look for M.I's too.  Is John the one on later census in Grantham? I cannot see him as yet on 1861 census and there doesn't seem to be a birth Registration for him either.

On my NFHS burial disc's is the burial for Sarah Ann as you say and the only other thing is it says abode was Spital Hill.
the Baptisms disc has a gap from 1837 to 1874 so no help there.

NG 

Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 March 19 15:00 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 John (9) and his grandmother Mary Holt are living at Kirk Street, East Retford.  John's place of birth is given as Gainsborough, Lincs.
In 1871 John is in Handsworth, place of birth East Retford.
In 1881 John is a police constable in Grantham, place of birth East Retford.

If it does turn out that John is likely to be illegitimate I wonder whether any Quarter Sessions records circa 1852 re maintenance exist?

Cannot find John on the GRO Index so the Clarborough PR's are a last resort!

Once again, thank you so much for your interest and help.

Valerie

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 March 19 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Stop Press!!  Just found these two entries from The Nottinghamshire Guardian

1/4/1852 Johnson, for the suppo rt , the illegitimate child of Sarah Ann Holt, was grani«H sum of two shillings weekly being allowed.

4/2/1858  On tbe 29th ult, aged 25, Sarah, only daughter of Mr. Richard Holt, boots at the White Hart Hotel, Retford.

So just need to check the Clarborough bpts around 12/2/1852 to see if the bpt of John Holt illegitimate son of Sarah Ann Holt is there please.

Many thanks
Valerie

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 March 19 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valarie,

That's good I'll check if the  maintenance order in the Archives too.

Just a thought, do you have John's marriage record to see if he put anything in the father's name box, I think he married Mary Stainforth in Doncaster in 1874 it's on the Find my past site if not I could nip in my local library and have a look.

NG

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 March 19 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Lovely, thank you.  Mr Johnson's first name would be good, lets hope it isn't too common.

John put "Richard" occ "groom" on his marriage cert - this was his grandfather.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 14:13 GMT (UK) »
A whole world of information on this subject on Nottinghamshire Genealogy board (facebook) https://www.facebook.com/groups/nottsgenealogy/
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley