Author Topic: Date and advise old London photo. could be Barracloughs from Yorkshire?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Date and advise old London photo. could be Barracloughs from Yorkshire?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I feel some clothes of the clothes at least, are possibly supplied by the photographer (borrowed props). The sleeve length too short or too long and the bagginess of some of the sleeves, suggest borrowed or made for someone else.

Jacket cuffs should not go over part of the hand (beyond the wrist), especially when the arm is bent up to 90 degrees at the elbow.

----------

The England & Wales Census (every 10 years 1841 to 1911, almost complete) and B M D Certificates are great tools for researching who our families were and where they lived, along with any extended family might also show up.

For example, one of my George HOODs was born Yorkshire, moved to Cheshire, married 1871 and then married again Northamptonshire 1872.

Working backward in the annual Rating Books & Street Directories along with Certificates, to the 1881 Census (earliest searchable available over 20 years ago) from known family, we knew my George Hood was a Commercial Traveller in the Leather Trade and his Birthplace. The 1871 Census found over 20 years ago in a Cheshire Record Office gave his first Wife. A Death Certificate indicated she died with her Father present later in 1871.

But how did he meet and then marry his second wife in Northamptonshire in 1872. It could be his Commercial Traveller occupation and a chance meeting, but I was not entirely convinced.

Recently I found his future Wife working as a Servant at a Leicester Hotel in the 1871 Census and the Hotel owner couple married (one living nearby) in the same Yorkshire Birth town as my George Hood was born in.

Thorough research of a family in the available documents might (might not) answer family questions, provided our historic families were not on the run or Mariners or others away from home.

If anyone is on a tight household budget and can get to a local UK Library, most Libraries and Archives have free access to a main F H site with Census and many Church Marriage and other images for Library/Ticket Members.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pat and Carol.

So could be three brothers (born about 1840-50?) seated with two sons (cousins born about 1870-80?)  standing, each with a hand on Dad's shoulder?

John B

Hello John

Regarding relationships, the two on the far left possibly Father and Son?

Difficult to say if the photographer simply wants the right hand on the shoulder of the man in front for the pose, or if signifying a close bond.

'My right hand man' could be my Father or someone who had a strong influence in the family, or even in bringing me up (if adopted), or Step-Father. Often applies in the workplace and elsewhere and to both sexes.

Without individual or other family photographs (with names on back) along with documentary research, it is impossible to determine relationships in circa 1900 photos, unless they appear in records with photo affixed, newspapers or publications.

-----------

I have a similar family scan, but of five adult children (3 Brothers standing & 2 Sisters seated) taken about 1900 (Mum & Dad both dead 1896 & 1885 from numerous sources) before two Brothers left for South Africa (South African location of two known, also confirmed in early 1900s documents and pictured with a South Africa Railway Station sign).

Mark

Offline johnbarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I need a little help along the way !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your comments Mark.

All useful information and clues for me to work on.

John B
Barraclough, Barron, Hunter, Marsden, Pawson, Sowden, Street, Vowless,