Author Topic: Ward Marriage and Burial  (Read 564 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ward Marriage and Burial
« on: Tuesday 05 March 19 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This is a follow up to a previous post which I put on here a few years ago just in case anyone has any ideas.

My ancestor Edward Watson of Faversham married Ann Ward by Licence at St Andrew's, Holborn on 16 February 1643. According to the Marriage Allegation found on FindMyPast she was aged 30 (so born about 1613) and a widow. So far however I have been unable to find any marriage of a man named Ward to a woman named Ann in the relevant area or nearby and a matching burial for the husband.

Given that Ann was born c1613 I am guessing her first marriage was sometime between the late 1620s and 1643.

Is anyone able to help here? If so it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ward Marriage and Burial
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 08:34 GMT (UK) »
She was about 30 so give a wider range for DOB.
He was about 40 and also a widower
Could she have originally been from Faversham who married a Ward and moved to St Andrews Holborn the name Ward is found frequently in Faversham.

What about wills in Kent or Middlesex. 

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Looking at Holborn there are several children baptised there for Hugh and Ann Ward
Ann 13/17.9.1633
Mary 7 June 1637 bapt 6.9.1638
John 26.8.1639
Ann 2.10.1641
Hugh 10.8.1643

Hugh seems to have been buried 19 Dc 1643 at St Andrew Holborn
Ann would have been a widow for 2 months when she remarried.

Boyd has a marriage Hugh Ward and Ann Freeman 16 July  1632 London.

Ciderdrinker

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Looking at Holborn there are several children baptised there for Hugh and Ann Ward
Ann 13/17.9.1633
Mary 7 June 1637 bapt 6.9.1638
John 26.8.1639
Ann 2.10.1641
Hugh 10.8.1643

Hi there

Thanks for this info, it definitely looks like a potential lead. I'll follow this up and see if I can find anything out.

Matt

Hugh seems to have been buried 19 Dc 1643 at St Andrew Holborn
Ann would have been a widow for 2 months when she remarried.

Boyd has a marriage Hugh Ward and Ann Freeman 16 July  1632 London.

Ciderdrinker

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 March 19 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I've done some more digging into the background of Hugh Ward and Ann Freeman and I think I may have found a christening for Hugh and two possible candidates for Ann.

It looks like Hugh was christened in St Botolph without Aldgate on 10 December 1609 and was the son of John Ward. Alternatively there is a "Hewgh Ward" christened in the parish of St Katherine by the Tower in 1608.

As for Ann Freeman I have found these two possible candidates:

Ann Freeman - christened 14 December 1606 in All Hallows the Less, London - daughter of William

Ann Freeman - christened 14 March 1615 in St Botolph Bishopsgate, London - daughter of William

Both are these parishes are 1 mile from the parish of St Andrew, Holborn so either is a possibility.

The first Ann would be about 37 when she married Hugh. Also the last child born to Edward Watson and Ann was Isaac Watson who was christened in 1647 in Faversham meaning this Ann would be about 41 when Isaac was born.

The other Ann would be about 17 when she married Hugh and about 32 when Isaac was born.

Annoyingly I can't find a way to confirm which might be the right Ann. There is a burial in All Hallows the Less dated 3 March 1609 for an "Ann Freeman" which might be the first Ann, but there's no indication if this Ann was an adult or a child.

Matt