Author Topic: Which Building is this please?  (Read 11086 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Which Building is this please?
« Reply #108 on: Sunday 10 March 19 12:26 GMT (UK) »
It's a shame that this interesting family history collection couldn't be passed on to a family member. It does seem that there are no living descendants. Ralph and Doris died unmarried/childless, Rupert had 2 children, 1 died as an infant and the other died unmarried in 1983.

At least the Marine School will have a copy of the photograph, it may well turn out to be the earliest photo they have.

Regorian - What you say makes perfect sense, there was no conflict between Britain and Germany at that time so no reason for Rupert not to be there.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Sunday 10 March 19 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Probably equivalent to Royal Naval College Dartmouth. No reason a British officer was not there between the Wars. Website shows NATO naval personnel there now.

Yes I see that there were British Personnel training there. But It looks from his naval records like he may have been there soon after it was built.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Sunday 10 March 19 12:51 GMT (UK) »
It's a shame that this interesting family history collection couldn't be passed on to a family member. It does seem that there are no living descendants. Ralph and Doris died unmarried/childless, Rupert had 2 children, 1 died as an infant and the other died unmarried in 1983.

At least the Marine School will have a copy of the photograph, it may well turn out to be the earliest photo they have.

Regorian - What you say makes perfect sense, there was no conflict between Britain and Germany at that time so no reason for Rupert not to be there.

Yes Jool, you have done your homework...that's why it came to us. There is a letter which mentions Felicity and her Mother Doreen. But Nicholas died in early infancy.

Attached postcards from Rupert to Doris....I think she may have been in service as she she seemed to have several addresses.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Sunday 10 March 19 14:10 GMT (UK) »
It was quite normal for visits by foreign service officers. Your officer may have visited pre 1914. The Kaiser was an admiral of the Royal Navy.

Certainly up to 1913, foreign military observers attended the end of summer manouevers in the large European armies. Winston Churchill often visited the German ones.

RAF Odiham was opened in 1937 by Erhard Milch, then Minister of Air and a Generaloberst (Colonel General), I think, in the Luftwaffe. There are plenty of photographs, but I could only find one on Google now. There used to be photographs in the White Hart? Hotel, Odiham, but not now.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Sunday 10 March 19 14:54 GMT (UK) »
What beautiful drawings Carol, it's sad that we can't find them a home.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Sunday 10 March 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
It was quite normal for visits by foreign service officers. Your officer may have visited pre 1914. The Kaiser was an admiral of the Royal Navy.

Certainly up to 1913, foreign military observers attended the end of summer manouevers in the large European armies. Winston Churchill often visited the German ones.

RAF Odiham was opened in 1937 by Erhard Milch, then Minister of Air and a Generaloberst (Colonel General), I think, in the Luftwaffe. There are plenty of photographs, but I could only find one on Google now. There used to be photographs in the White Hart? Hotel, Odiham, but not now.

Thanks really interesting Gregorian...thanks so much for your help and your interest  :D

Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Sunday 10 March 19 15:24 GMT (UK) »

They are aren't they...there are also some silhouettes and a tintype photo of Doris aged about 11 years old  :-\

Carol

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Sunday 10 March 19 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Agree completely, they are really whimsical.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Sunday 10 March 19 15:47 GMT (UK) »
There are only two matching trees and I have contacted both of them...if I was my Family, I would be making a trip to collect the box, but not everyone is as passionate as we are though are they Josey  ::)
Never mind...it's been fun and I have enjoyed every minute  :D
Carol